Homemade Coleslaw with the simplest coleslaw dressing! This recipe only requires 4 basic ingredients, it couldn’t be easier to make, and it’s so creamy and refreshing.
The Easiest Coleslaw Recipe!
I used to think coleslaw would require a lot of ingredients and insisted on freshly shredded cabbage but this version uses FOUR ingredients and includes a pre-shredded cabbage blend and it tastes perfect!
This coleslaw recipe is one of those back pocket recipes, especially during the summer with all the cookouts. It’s the perfect last minute side and goes perfectly with grilled meats and hot or cold sandwiches.
It’s just one of those recipes you’ll use over and over, plus it’s super versatile and you can customize it how you like. Keep reading below for some delicious ideas!
Coleslaw Salad and Coleslaw Dressing Ingredients
- Shredded coleslaw mix
- Good quality mayonnaise
- Apple cider vinegar
How to Make Coleslaw
- Make coleslaw dressing: In a small mixing bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar and honey. If needed season with a bit of salt.
- Pour dressing over shredded cabbage mixture: Place shredded coleslaw mix in a large bowl then pour the dressing mixture over.
- Toss together: Toss to evenly coat. Easy as that!
- Tip: I like to serve it right away while the cabbage is nice and crisp but if want it a little more tender let it rest 10 minutes in the fridge.
More Mix-In Ideas
You can also add other mix-ins to the coleslaw things like:
- dried cranberries
- sliced almonds
- bleu cheese or cheddar cheese
- fresh strawberries
Additional Ways to Season It
If you want extra flavor add other seasonings such as:
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- celery seed
- dry mustard or dijon mustard
- cilantro (with lime in place of vinegar)
- green onions
How Long Does Coleslaw Keep?
- The salt and vinegar in the coleslaw dressing start to break down the cabbage and draw the moisture out, so once the dressing is added I recommend that you serve within a couple of hours for best results.
- If you have leftovers it can still be eaten the next day the dressing just becomes runnier.
- Unfortunately it can’t be frozen. The overall texture will change too much.
- For make ahead: Mix dressing up to 3 days in advance. Pour over cabbage mixture when ready to serve.
How to Make It Healthy
To make this healthier replace half of the mayo with a thick plain Greek yogurt.
Is It Keto?
As is this Coleslaw won’t fit into the ketogenic diet, but you can make it keto friendly by replacing the honey with a sweetener such as swerve.
What to Serve with Homemade Coleslaw
Coleslaw goes well with just about anything but here are a few things I love to pair with it:
- Pulled Pork or pulled chicken sandwiches
- BBQ chicken with Homemade Barbecue Sauce
- French Dip Sandwiches
- Kalua Pork
- Huli Huli Chicken
- Slow Cooker Ribs
More Delicious Coleslaw Recipes to Try
- Apple Cranberry Almond Coleslaw
- Broccoli Carrot and Cauliflower Coleslaw Salad
- Strawberry Kale Coleslaw
- Thaw Slaw with Peanut Dressing
Follow Cooking Classy
- 1 (14 oz.) pkg. coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey (or granulated sugar)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt (optional, to taste)
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise honey, apple cider vinegar and a pinch or two of salt if needed.
- Place coleslaw mixture in a medium mixing bowl pour mayonnaise mixture over then toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately.
- Try it with mix-ins too! I love it with bleu cheese, apples, dried cranberries or sliced almonds.
- If you are looking to boost flavor try it with some of these seasonings to taste: onion powder, garlic powder, celery seed, dry mustard or dijon mustard, and black pepper