With slow cooker season in full swing, what better to serve on a cold day than these Slow Cooker Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes? These are comfort food not only at it’s best but they’re also incredibly easy to make! They’re perfect for a weeknight dinner yet delicious enough to serve at a holiday party!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
My whole family loved them and I couldn’t get over their delicious garlic flavor. The garlic flavor resembles that of roasted garlic, you’ll notice in the photos below it appears as though it’s become roasted after so many hours of slow cooking.
These potatoes are perfectly hearty and creamy and it’s a forgiving recipe so you can make them just as your prefer.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
- Spray a 6 – 7 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray. Place potatoes in slow cooker then pour water evenly over top.
- Toss with salt and pepper then add garlic and pour butter evenly over potatoes and garlic.
- Cover and cook on high heat 4 – 4 1/2 hours until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (don’t drain!).
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher then add sour cream, heavy cream. Whip with an electric hand mixer until desired texture is reached, while adding in milk to reach desired consistency.
- Serve warm with more butter if desired and minced chives.
Can I Make Them Lighter?
If you want to make them a little lighter you can use mostly milk and light sour cream.
Can I Omit the Garlic?
Not a fan of garlic? You can just omit it for regular mashed potatoes.
Can I Peel the Potatoes?
If you don’t like peels just peel the potatoes first or if you like some peels then peel half or use larger potatoes so there’s less peel to potato.
Like Them Smooth or Chunky?
And if you prefer your potatoes slightly chunky just don’t whip them very long. You can also adjust the garlic to suit your taste, a little more or less won’t hurt.
Then of course, as with all mashed potatoes I recommend starting with less liquid then add more as you go until they are the consistency you prefer.
Now pass me a heaping bowl of these for dinner and that’s all I need, yum yum YUM. Try them soon! They’re the perfect easy side dish that everyone will love!
What Should I Serve with These?
- Pan Seared Steak
- Roast Chicken
- Slow Cooker Rotisserie Style Chicken
- Salmon Roasted in Butter
- Pork Chops with Apples and Onions
Slow Cooker Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Super easy mashed potatoes! Potatoes are diced into chunks and added to a slow cooker along with garlic and water then cooked. Then you'll mash, and mix in milk and sour cream. Perfect for a lazy weeknight side dish yet delicious enough for a holiday meal.
- 4 lbs red potatoes, cleaned and rinsed (peeled or unpeeled), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic* (4 cloves)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cream, warmed in the microwave
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed in the microwave, or as desired
- Minced chives and butter, for serving (optional)
Spray a 6 - 7 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray. Place potatoes in slow cooker then pour water evenly over top**.
Toss with salt and pepper then add garlic and pour butter evenly over potatoes and garlic. Cover and cook on high heat 4 - 4 1/2 hours until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (don't drain!).
Mash potatoes with a potato masher then add sour cream, heavy cream.
Whip with an electric hand mixer until desired texture is reached, while adding in milk to reach desired consistency.
Serve warm with more butter if desired and minced chives.
- *Run out of garlic or you simply don't like it? Just omit it for regular mashed potatoes.
- ** If your slow cooker allows excess moisture to evaporate from the slow cooker I'd recommend adding in an extra 1/4 cup of water.