Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken is the easier, HEALTHIER version of your favorite takeout dish! Perfectly cooked chicken, juicy pineapple, crunchy onions and peppers, all swimming in the delicious sauce and served over fluffy steamed rice will become a family favorite that’s perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
Finally, a sweet and sour chicken recipe that’s incredibly delicious but not fried! I created this recipe because so often I would avoid making sweet and sour chicken because of its fry cooking method. I love sweet and sour chicken so I decided I needed to create a recipe that I wouldn’t avoid making because it was fried.
I believe this recipe tastes equally as good as any of its fried sweet and sour chicken competitors. Not to mention the prep time for this recipe takes about a quarter of the time its fried opponent takes. It’s unbelievably easy to make. It’s as easy going to pick up Chinese take-out.
One thing I love about slow cooker recipes is that they allow the food hours to marinate. The flavors are just given so much time to blend together and really develop. I think that is one reason this Sweet and Sour Chicken tastes so amazing! Also, your heart will thank you later if you try this recipe and skip out on the fried option.
Another reason I love this Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken is that it’s really easy to make ahead. Prep your ingredients and throw them in a container or freezer-safe bag on a meal prep day (I sometimes prep meals for a busy week ahead by chopping and assembling everything on the weekend). Pull the bag out of the fridge and dump it into your slow cooker in the morning before you start a crazy day, and come home to a perfectly satisfying and healthy meal. Or stash the prepped slow cooker meal in your freezer for a week when you need something fast and delicious.
Note that if you hate onion pieces then you can leave them out but I would recommend adding 1/2 tsp onion powder in its place. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 3 boneless , skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 lb), cut into 1" - 1 1/2"pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup diced fresh pineapple (you could also use canned but fresh is best)
- 1/4 of an onion , diced into 1" pieces
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper , diced into 1" pieces (I've also used red)
- Place diced chicken in a slow cooker. In a mixing bowl combine, 1/2 cup chicken broth, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, ginger, pepper and optional hot sauce. Whisk until well blended. Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker, press chicken into sauce to cover. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook chicken on low heat for 5 - 6 hours.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together 1/3 cup chicken broth and 1/3 cup cornstarch. Whisk until well blended then gently fold cornstarch mixture into chicken mixture (chicken will be very tender that's why I say "fold"). Fold in diced pineapple, onion and bell pepper. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook mixture on low for an additional 20 - 30 minutes until sauce thickens and fruit/veggies are slightly tender. Serve warm with white or brown rice.