Finally, a sweet and sour chicken recipe that’s incredibly delicious but not fried! I created this recipe because so often I would avoid making sweet and sour chicken because of its fry cooking method. I love sweet and sour chicken so I decided I needed to create a recipe that I wouldn’t avoid making because it was fried.
I believe this recipe tastes equally as good as any of its fried sweet and sour chicken competitors. Not to mention the prep time for this recipe takes about a quarter of the time it’s fried opponent takes. It’s unbelievable easy to make. It’s as easy going to pick up Chinese take-out.
One thing I love about slow cooker recipes is that they basically allow the food hours of marinating. The flavors are just given so much time to blend together and really develop. I think that is one reason this Sweet and Sour Chicken tastes so amazing! Also, your heart will thank you later if you try this recipe and skip out on fried option.
Note that if you absolutely hate onion pieces then you can leave them out but I would recommend adding in 1/2 tsp onion powder in it’s place. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
Easiest ever sweet and sour chicken made in the slow cooker!
- 3 boneless , skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 lb), cut into 1" - 1 1/2"pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup diced fresh pineapple (you could also use canned but fresh is best)
- 1/4 of an onion , diced into 1" pieces
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper , diced into 1" pieces (I've also used red)
Place diced chicken in a slow cooker. In a mixing bowl combine, 1/2 cup chicken broth, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, ginger, pepper and optional hot sauce. Whisk until well blended. Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker, press chicken into sauce to cover. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook chicken on low heat for 5 - 6 hours.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together 1/3 cup chicken broth and 1/3 cup cornstarch. Whisk until well blended then gently fold cornstarch mixture into chicken mixture (chicken will be very tender that's why I say "fold"). Fold in diced pineapple, onion and bell pepper. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook mixture on low for an additional 20 - 30 minutes until sauce thickens and fruit/veggies are slightly tender. Serve warm with white or brown rice.