Small Batch Brownies – the easiest recipe that makes just 3 perfect brownies in a bread pan. Check out the step-by-step guide to see just how simple they truly are!
One of My Favorite Recipes!
These simple brownies are amazingly chocolatey, deliciously rich, perfectly sweetened and they have the best fudgy texture.
I don’t really care to admit how much I make this recipe.
It truly is one of my favorite recipes on this blog and one of the those that I make most often! It’s a weekend go-to (or mid-week pick me up) around here.
It’s just pantry staples coming together to make one of the best desserts ever, and it only takes minutes to prepare!
It’s nice that it doesn’t make a big batch so we finish them off in what seems like the blink of an eye, so there aren’t any left to tempt me for breakfast the next day.
You just can’t go wrong with a brownie recipe as easy as this! And who can resist that explosion of chocolate flavor in every bite?
And if you are looking to make the most decadent brownies – add the optional chocolate chips!
Only 6 Ingredients needed to make small batch brownies!
- Salted butter: 1/4 cup.
- Granulated sugar: 1/2 cup.
- Egg: Just 1 large.
- Vanilla extract: 1/2 tsp.
- All-purpose flour: 1/4 cup (I like to use unbleached but bleached is fine too).
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: 3 Tbsp.
- Chocolate chips (optional): 1/4 cup regular size or 3 Tbsp minis.
Scroll below for full printable recipe.
Can I Use Unsalted Butter?
Yes unsalted butter works great too (I just went with salted to keep that ingredients list at a minimum). Just add 1/8 tsp salt along with the sugar if using unsalted.
How to Make a Small Batch of Brownies
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray a 8 by 4-inch bread pan (don’t use a 9 by 5 or they’ll be too thin) with non-stick baking spray.
- Place butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave until melted, about 30+ seconds. Let cool slightly while you measure out other ingredients.
- Mix in sugar, then mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add flour and cocoa powder and mix just until combined, if using chocolate chips mix in once flour and cocoa are almost blended in.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven until set, about 19 – 23 minutes.
Looking to make a Larger Batch?
If you need more like 12 servings then make my standard brownie recipe.
- Add chocolate chips or peanut butter chips.
- Try it with chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Make it extra chocolatey, go with the extra amount of cocoa listed in the recipe.
- Add coconut.
- Finish with marshmallows (let cool about 20 minutes then top with marshmallows and toast just quickly under the broiler).
- Serve with caramel sauce or powdered sugar.
- Finish with ice cream and hot fudge sauce for an over the top celebration dessert.
More Decadent Chocolate Desserts to Try
- Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Cookie Dough (3 Ways!)
- Chocolate Mousse
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
Follow Cooking Classy
This is my go-to brownie recipe! It only makes a few so I'm not tempted by an entire batch of brownies sitting around for days. They're so easy to make, perfectly rich, deliciously fudgy and they're sure to satisfy those chocolate cravings.
- 1/4 cup (56g) salted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (36g) all-purpose flour* (scoop and level to measure)
- 3 Tbsp (18g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (42g) chocolate chip or 3 Tbsp mini chocolate chips**
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray a 8 by 4-inch bread pan*** with non-stick cooking spray (or grease with some butter).
Place butter in a microwave safe bowl, cover and heat in microwave until melted, about 30+ seconds. Let cool slightly while measuring out remaining ingredients.
Mix in sugar, then mix in egg and vanilla extract.
Add flour and cocoa powder and mix just until combined, if adding chocolate chips then add them once dry ingredients are almost blended in.
Pour into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven until set, about 19 - 23 minutes.
Let cool about 15 - 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
- *For an intensely chocolatey brownie, use 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 3 Tbsp flour.
- **Semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips can be used depending on flavor preference. These are not included in nutrition estimate as they are optional.
- ***Don't use a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan or brownies will be too thin.
- Be careful not to over-mix batter or brownies might be cakey.