This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
S’mores Mousse is two decadent desserts in one! It’s layered with a crisp graham cracker base, a luscious easy to make chocolate mousse and it’s finished with a light as air marshmallow cream topping. A must try dessert!
A Luscious S’mores Dessert!
Smore’s. Beautiful, heavenly, roasty toasty, blissfully chocolaty, soft and perfectly melty marshmallow smore’s, how I miss you. I don’t care that it’s not summer yet, I just care that I can’t form a bon fire atop of the snow to roast a mallow to sandwich between two crisp grahams with a generous amount of melted chocolate. I don’t need the sunshine, I need a s’more =).
So this crazy, highly unusual thing happened at my house today. I opened my fridge to make sugar cookies and ahhhhh… I only had a half of a stick of butter. I hoard butter because I bake so much and I couldn’t believe I was out.
It was because I had margarine sitting their (stupid margarine) and mistook if for butter so I didn’t buy any butter when I was at the store and I wasn’t about ready to turn right back around and head back to the grocery store.
I normally don’t even own margarine but I was working on a Paradise Bakery chocolate chip cookie copycat recipe (yes and their cookies are made with margarine). Anyway, none of that has anything to do with this recipe other than the fact that it left me with a lack of time to make a dessert before the daylight was completely faded to get a photo to share with you, and also the issue it left me with making a dessert that contained a very small amount of butter.
After a little searching through my cupboards and rummaging through ingredients I had on hand, I decided something along the lines of a S’more would be perfect.
Normally I’m all about made from scratch but due to the lack of time I needed a quick mousse that wouldn’t have to cook and chill for an hour or two. Every now and again I will get out some sort of boxed something when I’m in a hurry and just try to enhance it a bit.
I found this recipe for the mousse and decided it was perfect because, no I don’t like pudding made from the box, BUT if it has cream and sweetened condensed milk (two of my favorite ingredients) in it then it’s got to be good, right? I decided it wasn’t nearly chocolaty enough though so I added in some cocoa powder to easily solve that problem.
It is fluffy, creamy and of course, completely simple. It pairs perfectly with the light, melt in your mouth marshmallow creme and crisp graham cracker crust. This is s’more meets mousse, meets chocolate cream pie. Decadent divinity in a cup. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Instant Chocolate Mousse
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 (3.9 oz) pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix (I used chocolate fudge)
- 3 - 5 Tbsp cocoa powder , to taste, sifted
- 1 cup heavy cream , whipped to stiff peaks
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp crushed graham crackers
- 2 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp salted butter , melted
- For the chocolate mousse:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, water, instant chocolate pudding mix and cocoa powder until well blended, about 1 minute. Cover mixture and refrigerate 5 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and fold in whipped cream. Return to fridge until ready to assemble S'mores Mousse.
- For the marshmallow creme:
- Add egg whites, granulated sugar and cream of tarter to a heat proof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a saucepan filled with a few inches of simmering water. Heat mixture, whisking constantly until egg whites are very warm to the touch, about 4 minutes (mixture so register 160 degrees on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and transfer bowl to electric stand mixer fit with a whisk attachment. Beat mixture beginning on low speed and gradually increasing to high speed, until stiff glossy peaks form, about 6 - 8 minutes. Add vanilla during the last 10 seconds of mixing.
- For the graham cracker crust:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together crushed graham crackers and light-brown sugar. Using a fork or clean fingertips, blend in melted butter until mixture is evenly moistened.
- To assemble mousse cups:
- Divide graham cracker mixture among 6 cups, pouring about 1/4 cup into each. Gently press into an even layer. Pipe or spoon chocolate mousse over graham cracker layer. Spoon or pipe marshmallow creme over chocolate mousse layer. Using a kitchen torch, toast the tops. For best results serve immediately.