Steak Kebabs are the one of the tastiest summertime dinners! These are layered with juicy tender pieces of flavorful, marinated beef and colorful quartet of tender veggies. An exciting recipe the whole family can agree on!
Steak Kebabs (Skewers) – A Must Try Steak Recipe!
These kebabs start with the most flavorful marinade mixture made with richly flavored ingredients like Worcestershire, soy sauce and bright red wine vinegar. And of course a generous amount of marinating time really allows the flavors to soak right into the beef and also help tenderize it.
Steak Kebab Recipe Video
The recipe itself is really easy to make, it just takes a bit of time to get everything threaded onto the skewers so grab a friend to make it go twice as fast.
You’ll love them for entertaining and cook outs. Just keep in mind they’ll go quick so you may want to do a double batch.
Ingredients Needed for the Marinade and Beef Skewers
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Lemon juice
- Red wine vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Sirloin Steak
- Fresh veggies – mushrooms, bell pepper, red onion, and garlic
- Garlic powder
How to Make Steak Kebabs
- Make the marinade: in a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire, honey, dijon, garlic and pepper.
- Add marinade to steak: place steak into a gallon size resealable bag, pour marinade over steak then seal bag while pressing out excess air and massage marinade over steak.
- Rest in refrigerator: transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinate 3 – 6 hours.
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 425 degrees (partway through preheating clean grill grates if they aren’t already clean).
- Toss veggies with oil and seasoning: with veggies on cutting board, drizzle with oil and lightly toss to coat.
- Sprinkle veggies evenly with garlic powder and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble kebabs: layer steak and veggies onto kebabs in desired order, work to fit 4 steak pieces onto each kebab.
- Cook kebabs on lightly oiled grill grates: brush grill grates lightly with oil.
- Place kebabs on grill and grill until center of steak registers about 140 – 145 degrees for medium doneness, turning kebabs occasionally, about 8 – 9 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Can I Use a Different Cut of Steak?
I recommend sticking with top sirlion or New York Strip since it’s more lean than some other steaks leaving you with nice uniform cubes and not a lot of excess fat. It has great flavor and comes out tender when marinated and properly cooked.
Don’t use petite sirloin steaks as they’re too thin and will cook too quickly.
Can I Cook these in the Oven?
Grilling will give you the best flavor but if you don’t happen to have a grill or weather wont permit, you can bake these on a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray (or parchment paper) in a 425 degree oven. It should take about 10 – 13 minutes (safe internal steak temp is 145 degrees about a medium doneness).
Tips for the Best Steak Kebabs
- Note that your grill time may vary based on different factors including grill model, weather, distance from flames so just keep a close eye on them, steak is one of those things you definitely don’t want to overcook.
- Cut steak cubes as uniform in size as possible so they all cook even.
- Marinate steak at least 3 hours to allow flavors to soak into the beef a bit and don’t marinate steak more than 6 hours you don’t want mushy meat as the acidity in the marinade can start to break it down.
- If using wooden skewers be sure to soak in water which will prevent them from burning up. I recommend just throwing them in water when you put the beef in the fridge to marinate.
- Use up other veggies you might already have. Squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, or parboiled potatoes are good choices.
- Space the peppers apart a little if you don’t want them very crisp. This will allow more heat to circulate around them and they’ll cook faster.
What Sides Should I Serve with These?
- Baked Potatoes
- Parmesan Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Hour Dinner Rolls
- Side Salad with Homemade Ranch
More Easy Steak Recipes You’ll Love
- Pan Seared Steak with Garlic Butter
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Honey Garlic Steak Bites
- Steak Kebabs with Chimichurri
- Carne Asada
Follow Cooking Classy
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp Dijon
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 lbs sirloin steak (look for thicker steaks), cut into 1 1/4 inch pieces
- 8 oz button or cremini mushrooms, halved (unless small, keep whole)
- 3 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow) cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion diced into chunks (about 1 1/4-inch)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing grill grates
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 10 wooden skewer sticks soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- For the marinade: In a mixing bowl whisk together all marinade ingredients.
- For the kebabs: place steak into a gallon size resealable bag. Pour marinade over steak then seal bag while pressing out excess air and massage marinade over steak. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinate 3 - 6 hours.
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 425 degrees (partway through preheating clean grill grates if they aren't already clean).
- With veggies on cutting board, drizzle with oil and lightly toss to coat (I actually don't toss the onion because I like it to stay in chunks, when you thread the onion on layer in chunks about 2 - 3 slices so they don't burn up).
- Sprinkle veggies evenly with garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. To assemble kebabs layer steak and veggies onto kebabs in desired order, work to fit 4 steak pieces onto each kebab (I like to layer 2 onion slices together).
- Brush grill grates lightly with oil. Place kebabs on grill and grill until center of steak registers about 140 - 145 degrees for medium doneness, turning kebabs occasionally, about 8 - 9 minutes. Serve warm.