Tomato Salad – this vibrant and flavorful salad is made with a colorful array of mildly sweet cherry and grape tomatoes, itty bitty fresh mozzarella pearls and it’s all tossed in a refreshing garlic-herb vinaigrette dressing.
Fresh Tomato Salad
A super simple salad that packs in an abundance of fresh satisfying flavor.
This tomato salad couldn’t be easier to make yet it’s one of those side dishes you’d want to polish off yourself – forget the main dish!
It’s a great way to use up garden tomatoes, or an opportunity to snag the colorful medley at the grocery store that’s in season during summer.
If you love tomatoes this is a must try recipe for you!
It’s often times the easy things that turn out to be some of the best, this salad is proof of that. Simple flavors that together create something sure to impress.
Tomato Salad Recipe Ingredients and Substitutes
- Fresh cherry or grape tomatoes: You could use other types of larger tomatoes here (cut into bite size wedges) but do serve right away before the dressing gets watery (the bigger tomatoes are juicier).
- Fresh mozzarella salad pearls: If you can’t find this small size then just buy a ball of fresh mozzarella and dice it up.
- Extra virgin olive oil: I like the more pronounced flavor of extra virgin olive oil here but if you only have standard refined olive oil that will work as well.
- Garlic: Fresh is best but the chopped bottled kind will work okay too.
- Red wine vinegar: White wine vinegar or champagne vinegar will work just fine too.
- Fresh basil and parsley: If needed you could use dried basil or parsley in place of fresh (using 1/3 the amount listed), but I do recommend using at least 1 fresh herb if possible.
- Dried oregano: Of course fresh oregano will work great too. Use 1 1/2 tsp minced.
- Honey: Only a hint of this is added to help balance the acidity and lightly emulsify the dressing.
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste.
How to Make Tomato Salad
Only 2 simple steps to prepare it:
- Make tomato salad dressing: In a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, parsley, basil, oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss tomatoes and mozzarella with dressing: In a medium salad bowl toss together tomatoes with dressing. Add mozzarella and toss.
- Don’t let it sit too long (a few hours is fine) or it the dressing just gets watered down as the salt draws the moisture from the tomatoes.
- Use best quality tomatoes for optimal flavor. If you happen to get tomatoes that are on the tart side add a little extra honey.
- Make sure tomatoes are nicely ripe.
- Careful not to overdue it on the salt (as always) you can always add later on but can’t remove excess.
- To allow flavors to infuse further let marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, tossing once halfway through.
How Far in Advance Can It be Prepared?
- Serve within a few hours of preparing for best results.
- Use other types of tomatoes.
- Add diced cucumber.
- Try it with diced avocado.
- Sneak in a bit of red onion.
- If you want to keep it very healthy you can omit the mozzarella.
What to Serve with It
This salad goes great with:
- grilled chicken or steak
- shrimp or salmon
- couscous or orzo
- grilled corn, zucchini or squash
More Summery Salads to Try
- Asparagus Tomato Feta Salad
- Avocado Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Greek Salad
- Salad de Maison (The Best Green Salad)
Follow Cooking Classy
This vibrant and flavorful salad is made with a colorful array of mildly sweet cherry and grape tomatoes, itty bitty fresh mozzarella pearls and it's all tossed in a refreshing garlic-herb vinaigrette dressing. Easy to make yet sure to satisfy!
- 1 3/4 lbs grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved (I like a blend of multi-color if you can find them)
- 1 (8 oz) pkg. fresh mozzarella pearls*
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing: In a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, honey, parsley, basil, oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a medium salad bowl toss together tomatoes with dressing. Add mozzarella and toss.
To allow flavors to infuse further let marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, tossing once halfway through.
Serve within a few hours of preparing.
- If you can't find pearls then just cut a block of 8 oz. fresh mozzarella into small cubes.
- White wine vinegar can be substituted for red wine vinegar.