Avocado Salad – made with an abundance of rich and creamy avocados, vibrant tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, bright red onions and a fresh herb dressing. A healthy side that’s perfect for a summer lunch or dinner!
Easy Avocado Salad
It is sides like this Avocado Salad recipe that we crave over and over again.
It’s all about using an abundance of fresh ingredients and a complementary blend of flavors.
You’ll love that it’s easy to throw together, no cooking is required, and it’s an inexpensive side. Especially during summer when all these fruits and veggies are in season.
It’s filling and something you can feel great about serving and will easily be a highlight of any meal!
Watch the Video!
Avocado Salad Recipe Ingredients
- English cucumber: Persian or pole cucumbers work too, just keep in mind you’ll want to peel those with a thicker, waxy skin first.
- Grape tomatoes: I like to use a multi-color blend but if you can’t find them just red are fine. Cherry tomatoes may be substituted.
- Red onion: If you want a milder flavor then rinse the red onion in sieve, drain well and add to salad.
- Avocados: The best quality avocados are really what will make this recipe shine. A nice ripe avocado, not a mushy or firm texture and a well rounded flavor.
- Lemon juice: Lime juice works great too.
- Red wine vinegar: White wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar will work here as well.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Standard refined olive oil will work too, it’s just not quite as flavorful.
- Honey: Only a very small amount is needed, this balances out the tartness of the lemon and also helps emulsify the avocado salad dressing.
- Garlic: As always stick with fresh garlic for best flavor.
- Fresh cilantro and parsley: I love this herb blend here, it gives it a chimichurri-like flavor.
- Dried oregano: A little will go a long way since it’s dried with concentrated flavors. We don’t want to overpower that rich avocado flavor.
- Salt and pepper: Add this to taste.
How to Make Avocado Salad
- Make the avocado salad dressing: In a small mixing bowl whisk together lemon juice, red wine vinegar, extra virgin oil oil, honey, garlic, cilantro, parsley, oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss veggies (and technically fruits) with dressing: In a large bowl gently toss together cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, avocado with dressing.
How long does it keep?
Because of the avocado in the salad it should be served shortly after preparing as avocados can start to break down.
Also the salts of the dressing will start to draw liquid from tomatoes and cucumbers so another reason to serve shortly after preparing.
What to serve with it?
- steak (or carne asada)
- black beans
More Tasty Avocado Recipes to Try
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
- For the dressing: In a small mixing bowl whisk together lemon juice, red wine vinegar, extra virgin oil oil, honey, garlic, cilantro, parsley, oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl gently toss together cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and avocado with dressing.
- Serve shortly after preparing.
- *I like to use a multicolor blend of tomatoes for a more visually appealing salad but all red tomatoes work just fine too.
- **For a slightly milder flavor red onions can be rinsed under water and drained well to help remove harsh bite.
- ***Lime juice can be substituted.
- For a more refreshing salad you can use chilled ingredients and a chilled dressing (don't chill tomatoes longer than a few hours though, and wait to cut the avocado until ready to serve).