Amazingly refreshing Cucumber Salad! Cold and crisp English cucumbers and vibrantly flavored red onion slices are tossed with a bright, fresh herb vinaigrette. It’s the perfect easy side to all your favorite summer foods!
Easy Cucumber Salad
Cucumbers are one of those staple vegetables you can always find in my fridge. They are great for snacking, they make the best salads, and they’re a delicious topping for wraps and sandwiches (check out my links below for more ideas).
Here they become the star of the show as the main ingredient in this easy and healthy cucumber salad! It’s a summer must have recipe for cookouts and simple dinners, or for lunch skip the pickles and try it atop of a sandwich (it’s so good on a tuna sandwich).
Ingredients Needed for Cucumber Salad
- English cucumbers – no peeling required!
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper – the salt helps draw the excess moisture from the cucumbers so the salad isn’t wet. So keep in mind too a lot of it will get drained and dabbed off, add more if needed at the end.
- Apple cider vinegar – this gives it that tangy kick.
- Olive oil – this helps balance out the acidic flavors of the vinegar.
- Mayonnaise – only 1 Tbsp is used to add a hint of creaminess to the dressing.
- Honey – a hint of this keeps the vinegar from being overwhelming.
- Fresh parsley and dill – if you don’t want to buy both you can just use one or the other.
- Fresh garlic – key to a delicious dressing.
- Red onion – be sure to rinse the onion first to remove excess harsh flavor.
How to Make Cucumber Salad
- Salt and drain cucumbers: place sliced cucumbers in a colander.
- Sprinkle with salt and toss to evenly coat, while separating slices so salt coats all cucumbers.
- Transfer colander to refrigerator set over a plate to allow cucumbers to drain 30 – 60 minutes.
- Make dressing: meanwhile in a mixing bowl whisk together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, mayonnaise, honey, parsley, dill, garlic, and pepper until emulsified (well blended).
- Chill until ready to use.
- Rinse red onions: place red onion in a fine mesh sieve, rinse under cool water and drain.
- Dry cucumbers: spread cucumbers over a double layer of paper towels.
- Top with another layer of paper towels then roll paper towels up (with cucumbers inside) and press to remove excess liquid
Toss everything together: transfer cucumbers and red onion to a large bowl. Whisk dressing again until emulsified then pour over cucumbers. Toss to coat well. Serve within one hour.
What’s the Best Type of Cucumber to Use for Cucumber Salad?
I like to use English cucumbers (hot house cucumbers) here because they consistently seem to have the best flavor. No bitter seeds and no peeling required! Those mini Persian cucumbers are another great option.
Garden (American) or Kirby cucumbers will work here too, just peel before using, then cut cucumbers in half through the length and scoop out the seeds.
What Type of Vinegar Can I Use for Cucumber Salad?
I usually opt for the apple cider vinegar but based on what you have any of these will work great:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Rice vinegar
- White vinegar
- White or dark balsamic vinegar
Can I Halve the Recipe?
Only have one cucumber and smaller group to feed? These recipe will halve easily and I recommend only make what you’ll need because it doesn’t store very well.
How Far in Advance Can Cucumber Salad be Made?
For best results I recommend serving cucumber salad within an hour of adding the dressing. The cucumbers will start to break down and get watery and they won’t be as crisp.
More Cucumber Recipes You’ll Love:
- Best Greek Salad (with Avocado)
- Pasta Salad
- California Roll Sushi Bowls
- Veggie and Hummus Sandwich
- Chicken Gyros (with Homemade Tzatziki and Pita)
- Tomato Avocado Cucumber Chick Pea Salad
- Greek 7 Layer Dip
- Watermelon Cucumber Salad with Lemon Dressing
Follow Cooking Classy
- 2 (16 oz. each) large English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 Tbsp finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh dill
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- Place sliced cucumbers in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and toss to evenly coat, while separating slices so salt coats all cucumbers. Transfer colander to refrigerator set over a plate to allow cucumbers to drain 30 - 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a mixing bowl whisk together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, mayonnaise, honey, parsley, dill, garlic, and pepper until blended. Chill until ready to use.
- Place red onion in a fine mesh sieve, rinse and drain.
- Spread cucumbers over a double layer of paper towels. Top with another layer of paper towels then roll paper towels up (with cucumbers inside) and press to remove excess liquid.
- Transfer cucumbers and red onion to a large bowl. Whisk dressing again until blended then pour over cucumbers. Toss to coat well. Serve within one hour.