Vegetarian Lentil Tacos are a perfectly healthy and incredibly tasty taco recipe that will even impress meat lovers! They’re deliciously flavorful, unbelievably easy to make (the slow cooker does most of the work) and they make great left overs.
Vegetarian Lentil Tacos for Meatless Monday
Do you do Meatless Monday? I’m not the type to be organized and plan ahead so I don’t do specifically “meatless Monday” but I try to eat more vegetarian recipes, especially for breakfast and lunch. And lately I’m trying to do a few more meatless recipes for dinner for my family.
This a meatless recipe my whole family can agree on, even my husband (who’s crazy about meat) loves these! And you can’t beat the quick prep time of this recipe. Plus you’ll be glad you’ll likely have leftovers for lunch the next day.
You can finish these easy tacos off with any toppings you like, then if you are making them vegan use vegan cheese or omit it.
What Ingredients Do I Need for Lentil Tacos?
- Green lentils
- Vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- Canned diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Olive oil
- Veggies – yellow onion, garlic, cilantro
- Spices – cumin, chili powder, ancho chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper (optional), salt and pepper
- Tortillas and desired toppings, for serving
So What are Lentils?
- Lentils are a small round legume that are grown in pods, about two seeds per each.
- They’re a good source of protein and fiber which makes them nice and filling and have hardly any fat.
- You’ll find them in several colors including red, yellow, green, brown and black.
- They’re very affordable and a much cheaper alternative to meat.
- They have long shelf life (usually several years) and don’t require refrigeration (until cooked of course).
- Once cooked they’ll freeze them for several months.
- Lentils make a great vegan substitute for meat in many dishes.
I actually love lentils and always keep some on hand now. I’d never even tried them until just a few years ago but now I love finding new ways to cook with them, these tacos are one of my favorite ways to use them.
How do You Make Lentil Tacos?
Lentil tacos can also be made on the stove top but I love these no fuss slow cooker method.
No tending to it just dump in a slow cooker and cook 3 – 4 hours on high or 7 – 8 hours on low. Serve in warm tortillas with desired toppings, easy breeze and so good!
What’s the Best Way to Warm Tortillas?
I always like to cook corn tortillas in a skillet or on a griddle either brushed with olive oil. Heat on medium-high until light golden brown spots appear on bottom then flip and cook opposite side until golden brown.
When I’m short on time I also love these with crispy corn taco shells. No cooking required. I like the way the crunch pairs with the soft filling.
What Else Can I Use This Filling For?
This filling would also be good for nachos, tostadas, enchiladas or taco salad. Or freeze half for tacos the next week.
More Delicious Lentil Recipes to Try!
- Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup
- Asian Lentil Lettuce Wraps
- Mexican Lentil Soup
- Moroccan Lentil Sweet Potato Soup
Follow Cooking Classy
Healthy, hearty taco filling that couldn't be easier to make! It's the perfect meatless dinner the whole family will love! Recipe makes about 4 1/3 cups.
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (10 oz) can mild diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Corn tortillas or crisp taco shells, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes (for serving)
Add lentils, broth, olive oil, tomatoes, onions, garlic, chili powders, and paprika to a 5 - 6 quart slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and cook on high 3 - 4 hours on high or on low 7 - 8 hours.
Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve warm into warmed tortillas with toppings.
- For a little heat add in some chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper to taste.
- Nutrition listed is for filling only.