It doesn’t get much better then a warm slice of cheesy garlic bread straight from the oven. Perfect for dipping in marinara sauce or serving as a side to all your favorite pastas and soups. I don’t share a lot of indulgent comfort food recipes on here other than desserts so I figured it was due time to share a recipe like so. This bread is so good I had a hard time knowing when to stop! I wanted to just keep reaching for slice after slice. Cheesy, garlic-y deliciousness!
I’ve never really liked my bread drenched in butter – it just feels too heavy when it is. So I cut back the classic 1/2 cup butter you’ll find in just about any garlic cheese bread recipe and I used 4 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp olive oil. It makes it seem not quite so greasy. These were just the perfect ratios for me but if you like more butter feel free to add it. This is a versatile recipe, you can swap out the cheeses listed for others that you like, just use any good melting cheese (cheddar, provolone, muenster, etc). Then as far as the parsley goes, dried will work just fine too if you don’t already have it on hand it’s not really worth buying a bunch of fresh parsley only to use a tablespoon of it (I’d still use about 1 Tbsp dried). It’s more for looks really, and it adds a hint of flavor. Like I listed in the recipe you can use fresh garlic for a more robust flavor or the granulated garlic for a more mellow flavor. Just be sure to enjoy it warm for that gooey cheesy deliciousness!
- 1 (14 oz) loaf French or Italian bread
- 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic, or 1 tsp granulated garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice bread in half lengthwise (though height of bread). Cut two sheets of foil about 24-inch long and place side by side letting one slightly overlap the other on a rimmed cookie sheet. Place bread, cut side up, on baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, using a fork, stir together butter, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon and spread mixture evenly over entire surface of both bread halves (working to coat the edges too so they don't burn). Wrap foil over bread and crimp edges together and roll ends of foil up. Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, open foil and roll foil inward. Sprinkle bread evenly with cheeses. Return to oven, bake uncovered, 5 - 6 minutes longer (broil during last 1 - 2 minutes for a crisper bread and more golden cheese if desired, no need to move rack upward). Sprinkle tops evenly with parsley. Cut into slices and serve warm.