During the summer I’m all about grilled chicken recipes! They are easy, flavorful and they’re always an entree my family can agree on. This Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken is no exception. It is packed with vibrant flavor and I can’t get over how amazing the avocado salsa is with it. You get tender juicy chicken thanks to a delicious marinade and a perfect sear over a hot grill (and of course checking that chicken temp as to not overdue it) and with all the fresh ingredients here you just can’t go wrong.
If you like Mexican and Southwestern flavors you’ll love this chicken! Really, what’s not to love about it? If avocado is listed in the ingredients it’s almost guaranteed to be good right? And you can never go wrong with the cilantro-lime combination. Combine those with a few other fresh ingredients and you turn a bland and boring piece of chicken into something worth remembering. So good you may find yourself returning to it on a regular basis!
- 4 (6 oz) chicken boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 medium avocados (ripe but semi-firm), diced
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion, rinsed under cool water to remove harsh bite
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Place chicken on a cutting board, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and pound thicker parts of chicken to an even thickness. Transfer chicken to a gallon size resealable plastic bag.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, honey, cilantro, 3 cloves minced garlic and season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Pour marinade mixture over chicken in bag. Seal bag while pressing air out, then rub marinade over chicken. Allow to rest in refrigerator 2 - 4 hours (rotating bag to opposite side and moving chicken around halfway through if possible to ensure it's evenly marinating).
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (to about 425 - 450 degrees). Brush grill grates lightly with oil then grill chicken until center registers 160 - 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl toss together avocado, tomato, onion, garlic and lime and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon a generous amount over chicken and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: inspired by Cooking Light