Macaroni salad is one of those things that I haven’t always appreciated. I would always walk right past pasta salads and potato salads and now I absolutely love both of them! They are perfect for parties/potlucks, picnics, and of course they are a wonderful side dish for lunch or dinner. I love pairing it with the classic summertime favorites like bbq chicken or pulled pork and corn on the cob, oh yes and let’s not forget the watermelon. This recipe is my favorite classic macaroni salad recipe, it’s nothing super fancy it’s just that delicious comfort food you remember growing up with (plus I made it a little healthier by subbing out half the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt). I added the mix-ins I like but you can swap the ones I have here with different vegetables like cucumbers or (seeded) tomatoes. You could also add in a diced baby dill pickles or sweet pickle relish if that’s your thang (personally I’d go with the baby dills).
Of course for this recipe I used my favorite mayonnaise – Hellman’s Mayonnaise (or in some states it’s labeled as Best Foods Mayonnaise). It’s rich and perfectly creamy and it’s a key ingredient to this pasta salad. I love that I can purchase Hellman’s Mayonnaise in bulk at Sam’s Club! My newest favorite thing about Sam’s club is their Scan and Go App. The Scan and Go App is just as it’s titled – it lets you scan the items while you shop and simplifies the whole checkout process. To use it you simply download the app (create an account, register your membership card and upload a payment method if you haven’t already) then as you are doing your shopping you simply scan an item you want to buy using the app and camera on your smart phone. Add it to your cart and continue to do this with all the items you want to purchase. Then make your payment using the app. And here’s the best part – skip the check out lines! Simply proceed to the exit where a costumer service member will be waiting to scan the barcode on your app (which shows all of your purchases) and off you go! I love it!
Sam’s Club also offers Club Pick Up where you can shop from home (order the items you want online) then someone at Sam’s Club will do all the shopping for you and you just show up to pick up your items hassle free. Genius! It leaves you with more time to do the things you love! Try for yourself and see how convenient it is. And while your there grab the things you need to make this delicious Macaroni Salad!
- 8 oz. dry elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's or Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fat free or low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 steamed or hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup matchstick carrots, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Cook macaroni in salted water according to directions on package (I added about 1/2 tbsp salt to the water). Drain and rinse with cold water until completely cool. Let drain very well.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, vinegar, mustard, honey, and season with salt and pepper to taste (start with about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper then add more salt after you've added the dressing to the pasta. If you cooked the pasta if fairly salty water you won't want to overdue it).
- Add well drained macaroni to a large mixing bowl along with eggs, bell pepper, carrots, celery and onion (if you like to have some color over you salad I like set aside some of the veggies to sprinkle over the top). Pour dressing over top, add in parsley and toss mixture to evenly coat. Serve or store in refrigerator up to 1 day.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
This post is sponsored by Mirum Shopper, however all thoughts and opinions are my own.