This Mango Black Bean and Avocado Quinoa Salad is the perfect side dish to just about any summer meal and it also makes for the perfect lunch! It’s brimming with so many fresh and delicious flavors and it’s totally satisfying. Not to mention it’s perfectly healthy too. Just look at the list of ingredients. You get protein from the quinoa and black beans, healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil, and lots of vitamins and minerals from just about everything here. So in other words it’s something you can feel great about eating. It’s delicious paired with grilled chicken, and of course salmon would be another great option.
I go through phases with quinoa. I eat it endlessly for a few months then I get tired of it and right now I’m in the ‘want to eat it all the time’ phase. Maybe that means I need to be more frequently eating other grains like farro and barley. Quinoa, brown rice and oats are just my favs. And quinoa is so versatile, the flavor just goes so well with just about anything. It’s so tasty in this salad.
If you have leftover quinoa in the fridge I’m thinking it would be even better than the freshly cooked stuff here. The salad is a little wet but with left over quinoa it would soak more of that up but just use what you’ve got, either way it will be completely delicious!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium mango, peeled, cored and diced*
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium avocado (semi-firm but ripe), cored and diced
- Rinse quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer. Transfer to a medium saucepan along with chicken broth and 1/4 cup water and season lightly with salt to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer until water has been absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes. Let cool*.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, cumin, ginger and cayenne pepper.
- In a large bowl or salad bowl toss together quinoa, black beans, mango, bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, avocado and dressing. Season with salt to taste and serve (note that the salad should be eating within and hour or two for best results as the avocado will start to brown and juices from the veggies will break down).
- Recipe source: inspired by Our Best Bites
*To quickly cool quinoa, transfer to a bowl and place in freezer and toss occasionally. It should be cool enough by the time you've chopped veggies and made the dressing. Left over quinoa would probably even work better as it will absorb better (it should measure 3 cups).