I’m always on the lookout for easy dinners that are delicious, healthy, filling, and meals that my whole family agree on. This one pot meal is everything listed all made in one pot and it can be ready in about 30 minutes (cut the broccoli and grate cheese while chicken and quinoa cook to best use time). My whole family loved it and I’ve already made it three times! I loved how easy it was to throw together and that it required minimal clean up. It reminded me a lot of the Cheesy Broccoli and Chicken Rice Casserole my mom always made but this uses quinoa and it’s made on the stovetop instead of in the oven.
Even though this has cheese I’d still consider it a healthy meal because each serving only has 1 oz of cheese. I’ve made this with both medium and sharp cheese and like both, of course if you like a stronger cheddar flavor then use sharp or you could even use extra sharp.
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
One Pan Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli with Quinoa
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts , diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low sodium-chicken broth (1 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar (1 cup)
- Heat olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and saute 2 minutes, then add chicken and cook 2 1/2 minutes stirring occasionally. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer (chicken should be cooked on outsides but inside doesn't need to be fully cooked through at this point because it will boil and simmer).
- Add in broth, quinoa and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a full boil then cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 12 minutes.
- Then quickly lift lid, sprinkle broccoli over top, recover and simmer about 8 minutes longer or until quinoa and broccoli have cooked through (it may have a little broth in the bottom still at this point and you can carefully drain it off if desired, just don't pour everything down the drain!). Sprinkle cheese over top, cover and heat 1 - 2 minute until cheese has melted.
- Recipe adapted from Number 2 pencil