This Stove Top Broccoli Mac and Cheese is of course so easy to make and it’s perfectly cheesy and delicious! It’s not too often that I splurge with mac and cheese for dinner but when I do I make it count, it had better be good! This taste like broccoli cheese soup but in mac and cheese form.
Broccoli Mac and Cheese, the Perfect Flavor Pairing!
Who doesn’t love broccoli cheese soup? Here we use that same flavor combo for a tasty mac and cheese you’ll want on repeat!
I made this recipe without any processed cheese, meaning we leave out all those strange ingredients but you still get a smooth creamy, cheesy sauce that will leave everyone craving more!
Tips for This Mac and Cheese
- This is a fairly mild flavored mac and cheese but feel free to add in more cheddar or use extra sharp cheddar for a bolder flavor.
- For a stronger flavor use the greater amount of mustard or even dry mustard powder instead (start with 1/2 tsp).
- Be sure to let the cheese melt it off heat or over warm heat so it doesn’t clump and curdle.
My whole family loved this and it’s a recipe I’ll be using again and again. This is my kind of mac! Try it soon and balance the meal by pairing it with grilled chicken or something healthy :).
More Recipes You’ll Love
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Stove Top Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to directions on package. Reserve a little pasta water to thin sauce later on if desired. Drain pasta well.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Add in flour and garlic powder and cook, whisking constantly for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in milk while whisking, then once all of the milk has been added whisk somewhat vigorously to smooth any little lumps.
- Add in cream cheese and mustard and cook, whisking constantly until cream cheese has melted and mixture has thickened well.
- Remove from heat then add in cheese and stir briskly to melt cheese.
- Pour drained pasta and drained broccoli into the pan with the sauce and toss everything to evenly coat, while seasoning with salt to taste.
- Thin sauce with a little pasta water or milk if desired. Serve warm.
- *This is 10 oz. florets. It should be mostly the head of the broccoli and little stem. Cook it first until fully tender then chop finely after. You can steam it or boil it in the water for about 4 - 5 minutes then remove before adding in the pasta to boil.
- **I like my mac and cheese somewhat mild, if you'd prefer a strong flavor feel free to add in more cheddar.