This Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup (AKA Cheesy Vegetable Chowder) is creamy, comforting and completely delicious!
Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup
This seriously satisfying soup is brimming with hearty potatoes, nutritious broccoli and carrots and it’s all embodied by a rich and creamy, deliciously cheesy broth. It may even take a top spot in your repertoire as a new favorite soup!
And can we talk for a moment about just how comforting and cozy it is? With all of the sudden bout of fear and worry in the world it’s amazing what a bowlful of soup can do for the soul.
No I’m not suggesting eating out discomfort in our lives, but maybe just taking a moment to breath. Eat some soup, and taking time to remember all we have to be thankful for. Gratitude can go a long way despite the given circumstances and uncertainty (and as it continues on).
Also let’s remember to be kind, if there’s a time to band together it’s now. Don’t forget a neighbor who may be in need of help.
Sending love and well wishes my friends!
Hope you get a chance to enjoy a bowl of soup and some sunshine this weekend!
Watch the Video!
Ingredients Needed for Broccoli Cheddar Potato Soup
- Fat: Butter
- Veggies: Carrots, celery, broccoli, onion, garlic, potatoes
- Seasonings: Garlic, thyme
- Liquids: Heavy cream, milk, chicken broth
- Cheeses: Cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese
- Thickening: Flour
How to Make the Best Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
Here’s the simple steps you’ll follow to make it (scroll below for the full recipe):
- Saute carrots, celery and onion in melted butter. Saute garlic.
- Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover with a lid and cook.
- Stir in broccoli and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- In a separate saucepan, cook butter and flour. Whisk in milk, heat and whisk until thickened.
- Blend in the heavy cream, then remove from the heat.
- Stir the milk mixture into the soup.
- Add cheese off heat, mix until melted.
Can I Use Vegetable Broth Instead of Chicken Broth?
- Yes, if you’re vegetarian feel free to use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth. Just stick with low-sodium so you can have more control over saltiness.
- Also use a vegan or vegetarian Parmesan.
Can I Substitute Milk for the Heavy Cream?
While you can use more milk in place of the heavy cream just keep in mind the soup won’t be as rich and creamy.
Tips for Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
- This broccoli potato cheese soup won’t freeze well because of the dairy. If making in advance, store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- If you don’t have cheddar, try using another flavorful, good melting cheese such as Gruyere cheese.
- You could also use cauliflower instead of broccoli in this potato soup recipe.
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love:
- Cheesy Ham & Potato Corn Chowder
- Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Potato, Kielbasa, and White Cheddar Soup
- Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden Copycat)
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
- 5 1/2 Tbsp butter , divided
- 1 1/3 cups chopped carrots (about 3)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes , cut 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick (2 large)
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets (from about 2 heads)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (preferably 1% or 2%)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 1/2 Tbsp of the butter. Add carrots, celery and onion and saute 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook 5 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, whisking constantly 1 minute. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in milk (whisk well until no lumps remain).
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken, stir in heavy cream. Remove from heat and once all veggies are tender pour into the soup and stir. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese until melted. Serve warm.
- This broccoli potato cheese soup won't freeze well because of the dairy. If making in advance, store in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- If you don't have cheddar, try using a good melting cheese such as Gruyere cheese. A little blue cheese would also work really well.
- You could also use cauliflower instead of broccoli in this vegetarian potato soup recipe.