There’s nothing quite like a warm bowl of broccoli cheese soup on a cold fall day! Broccoli cheddar soup will always be one of my top 5 favorites soups. It’s perfectly cheesy, it’s hearty, it’s creamy and it’s just oh so delicious! This one is my go to recipe and I love how quick it comes together.
The only tedious part is chopping up the broccoli florets and onions into little tiny pieces, which I much prefer in broccoli cheese soup versus big chunks of florets. Plus that way they cook faster so your dinner can be ready in no time.
For an easy side to go with this you can throw some russet potatoes in the oven and serve them with sour cream, chives and bacon – sounds like an all out comfort food dinner (which we all need once in a while)!
Make Ahead Cheddar Broccoli Soup
I just stocked up on more cheddar because this easy broccoli cheese soup is a regular at my house when it starts to get cold. I like it better than what I’ve had at any cafe and I love that it’s made with real ingredients – none of that weird processed cheese. You’ll love it so much you might even want to double up the recipe so you can have some left for lunch the next day.
How to Make Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Broccoli cheese soup is so easy to make!
- You just melt some butter then saute onions, garlic and flour.
- Then pour in milk and broth.
- Add in the broccoli then cook and stir that mixture until it’s thickened and the broccoli is tender.
- Now just add the cream and cheeses and you’ve got a soup you’ll instantly fall in love with!
It’s definitely one of my go-to soup recipes and my whole family loves it!
Such a comforting soup any day of the year.
Trust me you don’t want to miss out on this recipe! It doesn’t require much but the end result is simply dreamy.
What to serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup
Be sure to check out these recipes I have posted that pair well with broccoli and cheese soup (follow link below image for recipe)…
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 6 Tbsp butter , diced in cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large clove garlic , finely minced
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups milk (anything but skim), then more to thin if desired
- 1 (14.5 oz can) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups finely chopped , fresh broccoli florets*
- 8 oz . (2 cups) freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (medium works fine too), plus more for serving
- 1 oz . (1/3 cup) freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp of each, but this will vary depending on the brand of cheeses and your salt/pepper preference).
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add in onions and cook, stirring frequently until soft, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and flour, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. While whisking, slowly pour in milk, chicken broth and broccoli. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins to gently boil and thicken, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook, stirring very frequently, until broccoli is tender, about 5 - 7 minutes. Stir in cream. Remove from heat, stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese, mixing until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with more cheddar if desired.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
*From about 2 heads of broccoli, use floret portion only. I began with about 1 lb broccoli crowns, chopped off majority of the stems, then chopped the florets into very small pieces about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.