Broccoli Cheese Soup is the perfect comforting dinner to make on a cold day! This soup will always be one of my favorites. It’s perfectly cheesy, it’s rich and creamy, and it’s just oh so delicious!
This is one of my go to recipe and I love how quick it comes together.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
I just stocked up on more cheddar because this easy broccoli cheese soup is a regular at my house when it starts to get cold. I like it better than what I’ve had at any cafe and I love that it’s made with real ingredients – none of that weird processed cheese.
You’ll love it so much you might even want to double up the recipe so you can have some left for lunch the next day.
Ingredients for This Recipe
- Yellow onion
- All-purpose flour
- Milk (anything but skim)
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Scroll below for printable recipe.
How to Make Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Melt butter then saute onions, garlic and flour.
- Whisk in milk and broth.
- Add in the broccoli then cook and stir that mixture until it’s thickened and the broccoli is tender.
- Now just add the cream and cheeses and you’ve got a soup you’ll instantly fall in love with!
Tips for This Recipe
- Cut broccoli into tiny pieces, that way they cook faster and the texture is just better overall.
- Be sure to dice up the onions very small or they won’t cook through fast enough. No one wants crunch onions in this soup.
- Don’t use pre-shredded cheese or the soup may end up grainy, plus the flavor won’t be as good. Start with a block and grate if fresh.
- For an easy side to go with this soup with Baked Potatoes, or 1 Hour Homemade Bread, or a side salad.
A Must Have Soup Recipe!
Trust me you don’t want to miss out on this recipe! It doesn’t require much but the end result is simply dreamy.
It’s likely to become a new staple for you. I mean who could resist?
More Recipes You Might Like
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
This is my favorite Broccoli Cheese Soup! The best texture, the best flavor, a perfect consistency and lot so broccoli cheese flavor. This soup does not disappoint!
- 6 Tbsp butter, diced in cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups milk (anything but skim), then more to thin if desired
- 1 (14.5 oz can) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups finely chopped, fresh broccoli florets*
- 8 oz (2 cups) freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 oz (1/3 cup) freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium high heat.
Add in onions and cook, stirring frequently until soft, about 3 minutes.
Add in garlic and flour, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
While whisking, slowly pour in milk, chicken broth and broccoli.
Cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins to gently boil and thicken, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook, stirring very frequently, until broccoli is tender, about 5 - 7 minutes.
Stir in cream. Remove from heat, stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese, mixing until melted.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with more cheddar if desired.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
*From about 2 heads of broccoli, use floret portion only. I began with about 1 lb broccoli crowns, chopped off majority of the stems, then chopped the florets into very small pieces about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.