I originally shared these 3 years ago but they are one of my favorite treats especially around Christmas time so I decided to update things and share it again – in case you’ve missed out. If you haven’t tried them yet then yes you are totally missing out! They only require a few basic ingredients (only 3 if you are making the original version and 5 for the peppermint!) and they are so incredibly easy to make! I’ve shared step-by-step photos below so you can see just how easy they are to make. If you don’t have a food processor you can crush the Oreos to crumbs in a gallon size resealable bag with a rolling pin.
These are one of the treats I’m making this year to give to friends because I don’t have a lot of time to make something too detailed, plus these are always a win anywhere I take them. People go crazy over these and they are always one of the first things to go at parties. I mean how could you go wrong with Oreos, cream cheese and chocolate – and at Christmas time some peppermint? Yeah, you just can’t.
If you’ve never made truffles before or dipped candies in chocolate this is a great place to start! The recipe is so straight forward and like I said it requires minimal ingredients. Once you try these you’ll be hooked! I know I am for life! Merry Christmas everyone!
- 36 Oreos, divided (original not doublestuf), plus 3 more for topping if desired
- 1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz. almond bark or candy melts, or melted white chocolate, milk chocolate or dark chocolate
- See notes for peppermint variation
- Set a long sheet of wax paper over a cookie sheet, set aside. Place 36 Oreos in a food processor (entire cookie, don't remove cream filling) and pulse too fine crumbs (alternately if you don't own a food processor you can place Oreos in a large resealable bag, seal bag and crush with a rolling pin until finely crushed). Pour crushed Oreos into the bowl of a stand mixer along with cream cheese and mix on low speed until well combined (alternately you can use a mixing bowl and a spoon to mix together). Scoop mixture out about 1 Tbsp at a time and form into 1 inch balls then align on prepared cookie sheet. Place truffles in freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile crush remaining 3 Oreos.
- Melt almond bark or chocolate according to directions on package. Remove truffles from freezer and dip in melted chocolate and use a spoon to pour some chocolate over the top then lift and allow excess chocolate to run off (I barely made it with 16 oz. of the melted bark but you may need a little more). Return to baking sheet, immediately sprinkle tops with remaining crushed Oreos then allow chocolate to set. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- Recipe Source: adapted from Kraft
For the peppermint version simply mix 1 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract with the cream cheese in a stand mixer first, then add the Oreo crumbs and continue as directed. Dip chocolates then immediately sprinkle tops with peppermint bits crushed candy canes or crushed starlight mints (instead of more crushed Oreos).