One Pan Sausage Zucchini and Brown Rice Skillet, umm yes please! Easy healthy weeknight dinners are totally my thing, because that means there’s room left and time left to make little dessert. It’s all about balance right? This simple skillet dinner is a one pan meal that includes a grain (brown rice), veggies/fruit (zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes) and lean protein (turkey sausage and black beans) so you just can’t go wrong here. Not to mention it has the perfect blend of flavors. This is a recipe definitely worth of adding to the repeat list. My family and I loved it and plus I loved how easy it was to make! I also liked that it reheated well, I had just enough left for lunch the next day.
Of course I think this is better with cheese, everything is better with cheese. But if you are looking to cut calories feel free to omit it. You could maybe add in some corn too for another veggie. Then if you don’t like heat just leave out the cayenne pepper, and if you love heat add in some extra. Then if you don’t have parsley on hand but you do have cilantro I think that would be another good herb here and again don’t hesitate to add more to taste if you’d like. That’s the great thing about home cooking, you can make it exactly as wish. Just don’t sway too far from the recipe here though because I thought it was spot on delicious :). It’s like Spanish rice meets sausage and zucchini and it’s a seriously tasty combo!
Sausage Zucchini and Brown Rice Skillet (One Pan)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups halved and sliced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 oz . smoked turkey sausage , sliced
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice (such as Minute brown rice)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet (that's at least 2-inches deep) over medium-high heat. Add in yellow onion and saute, stirring frequently, 4 minutes. Add in zucchini, bell pepper and garlic and saute 2 minutes longer. Push veggies to one side (and preferably pull that side of the pan off the burner heat slightly while cooking the sausage) then add sausage to the now empty side and cook until it's starting to brown, turning occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in rice, tomatoes and chicken broth. Season with chili powder, cumin, thyme, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Stir then pour in black beans, bring mixture to a boil. Cover pan with lid and reduce temperature to medium. Allow to boil gently 5 - 6 minutes then remove from heat, toss and let rest 8 - 10 minutes until rice is tender. Drain off excess liquid if desired. Toss in parsley and serve warm with cheese.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy