Ahh fajitas, the sizzling entree that catches everyones attention in the dining room at any restaurant. It’s an entree worthy of some attention with its bright well season flavors. I always love to order fajitas at Mexican restaurants but I don’t make them at home often. I just wanted a lazier way to make them without having to marinade and so forth, so today I’m sharing this incredibly easy to prepare version of fajitas. So easy that the slow cooker does almost all the work. And not only that, cooking it in the slow cooker allows plenty of time to meld the flavors together and really soak into the chicken and veggies, and it will leave you with perfectly tender chicken every time.
I absolutely love this simplified fajita recipe! It makes for a great weeknight dinner and definitely a crowd pleasing meal! It makes plenty too so you may be lucky enough to have left overs for lunch the next day!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 red, orange and green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- For serving:
- Flour tortillas, sour cream, cilantro, salsa, guacamole, monterrey jack or cheddar cheese
- Pour half of the canned tomatoes into the bottom of a slow cooker and spread into an even layer. Top with half of the peppers and half of the onions. Sprinkle garlic in. Top with chicken breasts.
- In a bowl whisk together chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Evenly sprinkle half of the seasoning over chicken breasts then flip chicken and sprinkle in remainder. Top with remaining half of the tomatoes, then layer in remaining peppers and onions.
- Cover and cook on HIGH heat 3 - 4 hours or low heat 6 - 8 hours, until chicken has cooked through and veggies are tender (note that if you want to be able to cut chicken into strips cook more near lesser time on HIGH or LOW, otherwise it will probably just shred, which is also fine).
- Remove chicken, and cut into strips, or shred. Ladle out 1 cup of the broth in slow cooker (mostly tomato liquid) and discard. In a small bowl whisk together lime juice and honey and add to slow cooker along with chicken and season with additional salt to taste if desired. Gently toss. Sere warm in warmed tortillas with sour cream and optional guacamole, cheese and salsa.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy