Steak kebabs are the perfect dinner for any spring and summer meal, especially when they are marinated for hours in the most delicious marinade and paired with tons of colorful veggies like so! This kebabs are something the whole family will love! They start with the most flavorful marinade mixture and of course a fair amount of marinating time time really allows the flavors to soak into the beef (but don’t go past about 6 hours you don’t want mushy meat. And you may as well throw the skewers in water when you throw the beef in the fridge that way you won’t forget to soak them. FYI the water soaking is just so the skewers don’t burn up and fall apart over the flame of the grill). These are one of my favorite things to make when it finally starts to warm up outside, once you try one bite of the steak you’ll understand why!
I opted to make my steak kebabs colorful with lots of brightly colored veggies but you most definitely can swap them out with your favorites. What’s really important here is the steak, everything else is optional. Veggies you could use are things like boiled baby red or yukon gold potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash or larger grape tomatoes.
Note that your grill time may vary from what mine was (based on the temp of the grill, size of the grill, how close the meat is to the flame, temp of the meat going onto the grill, exact size of your steak cubes, etc) so just keep a close eye on them, steak is one of those things you definitely don’t want to overcook. Also really try to keep the steak cubes uniform in size when cutting them up, if they aren’t you could end up with some that are overcooked while others aren’t quite cooked through. When you are paying the higher price for steak you don’t want to end up with a so so meal, right?
Now make a trip to the store and fire up your grill, you don’t want to miss out on these! Tender, seriously flavorful steak threaded onto skewers with fresh veggies and grilled to perfection – sounds like a total win to me!
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp Dijon
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 lbs sirloin steak (look for thicker steaks), cut into 1 1/4 inch pieces
- 8 oz button or cremini mushrooms, halved (unless they're really small, keep those whole)
- 2 - 3 bell peppers, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion diced into chunks (about 1 1/4-inch)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing grill grates
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 10 wooden skewer sticks soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- For the marinade:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together all marinade ingredients.
- For the kebabs:
- Place steak into a gallon size resealable bag. Pour marinade over steak then seal bag while pressing out excess air and message marinade over steak. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinate 3 - 6 hours.
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 425 degrees (partway through preheating clean grill grates if they aren't already clean). With veggies on cutting board, drizzle with oil and lightly toss to coat (I actually don't toss the onion because I like it to stay in chunks, when you thread the onion on layer in chunks about 2 - 3 slices so they don't burn up). Sprinkle veggies evenly with garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. To assemble kebabs layer steak and veggies onto kebabs in desired order, work to fit 4 steak pieces onto each kebab. Brush grill grates lightly with oil. Place kebabs on grill and grill until center of steak registers about 140 - 145 degrees for medium doneness, turning kebabs occasionally, about 8 - 9 minutes. Let rest for a few minutes then serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy