When you mix creamy, chocolaty and blissfully smooth Nutella into doughnuts great things happen. Basically, when you mix Nutella into anything great things happen. Nutella is probably one of my favorite foods (I wish I could sit down an eat a jar of it by the spoonful, as if it were ice cream) so I had to find a way to add it to my doughnuts.
It’s not very often that I like to fry a batch of doughnuts in a big pot of oil, yes I love the taste but I don’t like the added calories and mess that comes with frying them.
Baked doughnuts are easier, quicker and are a healthier alternative than their fried counterpart. These baked treats are delicious topped with toasted hazelnuts, or they’re fun for kids with colorful sprinkles, and if I would have had chocolate Oreos on hand I might have even tried crushing up and adding a few with those.
Even if you don’t choose to top these with anything other than the glaze you’ll still have an unbelievably delicious baked doughnut. Just be sure to serve them along with a tall glass of ice cold milk. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Baked Nutella Doughnuts with Nutella Glaze
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium-low speed, whip together granulated sugar, light-brown sugar, Nutella and butter until well blended, about 20 seconds. Stir in egg and vanilla.
- Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula and working in three separate batches, add 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with half of the milk, mixing and folding just until combined after each addition and beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Divide batter among greased doughnut pans filling each about 3/4 full (I got 9). Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into doughnut comes out clean, about 7 - 9 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes, then run a butter knife around edges to loosen and invert onto wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, 2 1/2 Tbsp Nutella, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth, then spread Nutella glaze over tops of doughnuts.
- Optionally top with sprinkles or chopped hazelnuts, allow glaze to set at room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.