These Blueberry Pancakes are the tastiest way to start the weekend mornings! They’re made with a rich pancake batter swirled with sour cream and studded with an abundance of fresh blueberries. They’re perfectly flavorful and amazingly fluffy.
This easy pancake recipe takes just 30 minutes to whip up, and everyone is sure to love them!
Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
Is there anything better than waking up on a weekend morning to a tall stack of fluffy, fresh blueberry pancakes? These Blueberry Pancakes are pure comfort food and breakfast really doesn’t get much better!
They are so soft and perfectly buttery and you get plenty of blueberry flavor in every bite. Because if we are going to add blueberries, let’s not be skimpy with them!
I’m a major pancake lover, and I’m also a pancake snubber. I know a good pancake from a bad one. If you are still hooked on the boxed mixes, I highly recommend going the homemade route — you’ll never look back once you do.
I did about 15 years ago, and it was basically life changing. The boxed stuff may have its place when you are in a major hurry or to blend into a recipe, but homemade pancakes are nearly just as quick and easy, you just have to measure out a few more dry ingredients.
These blueberry sour cream pancakes are over-the-top delicious and I can practically guarantee your whole family will love them! I know these are a family favorite of ours, especially during the summer months when you can get those juicy, sweet blueberries.
Add these fluffy pancakes to your weekend plans, you’ll be glad you did!
Blueberry Sour Cream Pancakes Ingredients
For these fluffy blueberry pancakes, you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour – unbleached or bleached all-purpose flour will work.
- Granulated sugar – this helps brown the pancakes a little better and adds a hint of sweet flavor to balance the tang.
- Baking powder and baking soda – needed for the pancakes to rise.
- Salt – brings out the flavors of the pancakes.
- Sour cream – a key ingredients! This is what makes these pancakes so good!
- Milk – used in addition to the sour cream for a good consistency.
- Eggs – these help bind everything together and also help the pancakes rise.
- Unsalted butter – this adds delicious flavor. Salted butter will work too, reduce salt in recipe to 1/4 tsp.
- Fresh blueberries – the highlight of these pancakes! Pick over them and toss out those that may be starting to spoil.
How to Make Blueberry Pancakes
- Preheat an electric griddle to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, sour cream and eggs.
- Pour sour cream mixture into flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in the blueberries and melted butter.
- Pour pancake batter onto hot, buttered griddle.
- Cook until both sides of the pancake are golden brown, then serve immediately with maple syrup.
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries for This Easy Pancake Recipe?
Yes, these blueberry sour cream pancakes can be made with frozen blueberries when fresh aren’t in season. Fold the berries in frozen — no need to thaw first.
How to Make them Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
Want to add lemon flavor? Replace a few tablespoons of the milk with fresh lemon juice then also add 2 – 3 Tbsp lemon zest to the batter. Delicious!
How to Freeze Pancakes
These blueberry pancakes can be frozen. To do so let them first cool to room temperature on your counter. Then, lay the pancakes out on a baking sheet and place in freezer. After 1 – 2 hours, the pancakes should be firm enough to store in a freezer-safe baggie (freezing them first on the baking tray prevents the pancakes from sticking together once frozen).
Tips for the Best Pancakes
- Only butter the parts of the griddle you’ll be immediately pouring pancake batter onto. Otherwise the butter will burn!
- You’ll know when the pancakes are ready to be flipped when you see lots of tiny bubbles on top of the pancake.
- Warm the maple syrup in the microwave before serving these blueberry and sour cream pancakes.
More Easy Pancake Recipes You’ll Love:
- German Pancake
- Perfect Buttermilk Pancakes
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Lemon Syrup
- Funfetti Pancakes
Follow Cooking Classy
One of my all time favorite pancake recipes! You get perfectly tender, fluffy pancakes dotted with lots of fresh sweet blueberries. The sour cream adds great flavor, moisture and richness. A must try breakfast recipe!
- 2 cups (283g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 3 Tbsp (42g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups (295ml) milk (anything but skim)
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 5 Tbsp (70g) unsalted butter, melted, plus more cold butter for griddle
- 1 1/2 cups (226g) fresh blueberries
Preheat an electric griddle to 400 degrees F (a non-stick skillet set over medium heat will also work).
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt 20 seconds, then create a well in center of mixture. In a separate medium mixing bowl whisk together milk, sour cream and eggs until well blended (melt butter at this point, if you haven't already).
Pour sour cream mixture into flour mixture and whisk just until about 3/4 of the way combined (there should still be large lumps and some flour streaks). Immediately pour in blueberries and melted butter and fold just to evenly distribute, about 5 times.
- Butter griddle, then pour a heaping 1/3 cup batter onto griddle. Allow to cook until bottom is golden brown then flip and cook opposite side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with maple syrup.
- Recipe source: adapted slightly from Taste of Home
- Only butter the parts of the griddle you'll be immediately pouring pancake batter onto. Otherwise the butter will burn!
- You'll know when the pancakes are ready to be flipped when you see lots of tiny bubbles on top of the pancake.
- Warm the maple syrup in the microwave before serving these sour cream pancakes.