This Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup is creamy, comforting and utterly delicious. It’s made with broccoli, cheese and potatoes and is sure to please even the fussiest of eaters. Grab a bowl a get cozy!
Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup
I Love love LOVE this broccoli potato soup! What you are basically getting here is creamy potato soup meets broccoli cheese soup and it is unbelievably delicious! Definitely one of my top three favorite soups, and that’s saying something because I have sooo many soup recipes that I love.
This has even taken over the place of my traditional broccoli cheese soup recipe and my potato soup recipe, new top contender!
Better yet, my whole family couldn’t get enough of this easy soup recipe. My kids seem to become pickier about food by the day, but they had no problem quickly finishing this one off. I love that it is a blend of two of the best soups, so you get that creamy potato soup goodness plus and abundance of broccoli and cheese flavor.
Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup Ingredients
- Chicken Broth
We also really liked how it’s heartier than a traditional broccoli cheese soup with more substance to it because of all the additional veggies. Definitely adding this one to the rotation!
Don’t miss out on this recipe because you are simply going to love it!
How to Make Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
- Saute carrots, celery and onion in melted butter. Add garlic and saute a few more seconds.
- Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover with a lid and cook.
- Stir in broccoli and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook, whisking constantly, then pour in the milk.
- Continue cooking the milk mixture until it thickens. Stir in the heavy cream, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the milk mixture into the soup and stir.
- Remove soup from the heat and stir in the cheeses until melted.
Can I Use Vegetable Broth Instead of Chicken Broth?
Yes, if you’re vegetarian feel free to use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth. Just make sure the broth you’re using is low-sodium.
Can I Substitute Milk for the Heavy Cream?
You might be able to achieve the same consistency if you use whole milk instead of heavy cream, but I’d suggest using heavy cream as the recipe calls for.
Tips for the Best Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
- This broccoli potato cheese soup won’t freeze well because of the dairy. If making in advance, store in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- If you don’t have cheddar, try using a good melting cheese such as Gruyere cheese.
- You could also use cauliflower instead of broccoli in this potato soup recipe.
More Potato Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Cheesy Ham & Potato Corn Chowder
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Potato, Kielbasa, and White Cheddar Soup
- Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden Copycat)
Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
This Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup is creamy, comforting and utterly delicious. It's sure to please even the fussiest of eaters. Grab a bowl a get cozy!
- 5 1/2 Tbsp butter , divided
- 1 1/3 cups chopped carrots (about 3)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes , cut 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick (2 large)
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets (from about 2 heads)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (preferably 1% or 2%)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese (1 oz)
In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 1/2 Tbsp of the butter. Add carrots, celery and onion and saute 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook 5 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile, melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, whisking constantly 1 minute. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in milk (whisk well until no lumps remain).
Cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to gently boil and thicken, stir in heavy cream. Remove from heat and once all veggies are tender pour into the soup and stir. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese until melted. Serve warm.
- This broccoli potato cheese soup won't freeze well because of the dairy. If making in advance, store in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- If you don't have cheddar, try using a good melting cheese such as Gruyere cheese. A little blue cheese would also work really well.
- You could also use cauliflower instead of broccoli in this vegetarian potato soup recipe.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy