Summery Chicken Pasta Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Summery Chicken Pasta Salad – Made with fun mini bowtie pasta, a lemony herb flecked dressing, sharp cheddar, crisp veggies, flavor rich bacon, and tender rotisserie chicken. This is an absolute crowd pleaser!
Club Chicken Pasta Salad
This is a family favorite pasta salad! It’s similar to the taste of a club chicken sandwich meets a ranch salad. In other words it’s completely irresistible!
It has all the best flavors including the unmistakable taste of dill, sweet corn, vibrant tomatoes, crave-able cheese, meaty bacon, bone-in cooked chicken, and a rich tangy dressing. And if you want one more summery mix-in you can also include in a buttery avocado.
It makes an extra large batch which is perfectly fitting for a summer cook out of about 12 people, but the recipe can easily be halved as well for a smaller family lunch or dinner (amounts are included at the bottom of the recipe).
Though you’ll find it also keeps well in the fridge so you may opt to just make the full batch and have the extra for lunch that’s ready to go the following few days.
This chicken pasta salad is chilled and refreshing and perfect for a hot summer day. Plus it’s such a tasty upgrade from traditional pasta salad. So much delicious goodness in every serving!
Chicken Pasta Salad Recipes Ingredients
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon
- Fresh parsley
- Dried dill
- Fresh garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh yellow corn
- Bow tie pasta
- Green onions
- Cheddar cheese
- English cucumber
- Rotisserie chicken
How to Make Chicken Pasta Salad
- Make the dressing: In a small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, dill, garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Boil water in pot: Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt water to taste (I use about 2 Tbsp).
- Cook corn, cool: Add corn and boil (while turning as needed so all sides cook), 4 minutes. Remove corn and let cool while keeping water boiling.
- Cook pasta, cool: Add pasta to boiling water and cook to al dente according to times listed on pasta package. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before draining pasta.
Transfer drained pasta to a greased baking sheet and let cool 10 to 20 minutes.
- Cut corn from corn cobs.
- Add pasta salad ingredients to bowl: In a extra large bowl add cooled pasta, corn, bacon, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, cucumber, and chicken.
- Toss with dressing: Pour dressing over and 1/4 cup pasta water then toss to evenly coat. Thin with more pasta water as needed (as it rests it will thicken) and season with more salt as needed.
- Rest: If time allows let flavors meld in fridge for 1 hour, otherwise it can be served right away.
- Grilled or canned chicken: In place of rotisserie chicken you could use well drained canned chicken, grilled chicken, or other leftover cooked chicken.
- Pastas: Other types of pasta that will work here are standard bow tie pasta (farfelle), mini penne, elbow macaroni, fusili, or small shell pasta.
- Cheeses: In place of cheddar try swiss, feta, colby cheese or blue cheese.
- Fresh dill: If you would like to use fresh dill just start with 1 Tbsp and add more to taste from there.
- Frozen corn: If you don’t have access to fresh corn frozen corn will work as well, just cook according to package directions and run under cold water in a colander to cool.
- Additions: 1 diced avocado is a delicious addition to this salad (should be fairly firm but ripe). For spicy heat you can also add cayenne pepper to taste.
How to Store
- Pasta salad should not be kept at room temperature longer than 2 hours.
- Don’t keep in warmer environments longer than 1 hour.
- Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
How Long Does it Keep?
- This bacon cheddar chicken pasta salad will keep for 3 days in the fridge.
More Amazing Pasta Salad Recipes to Try
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Chicken and Grape Poppy Seed Pasta Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Macaroni Salad
Follow Cooking Classy
Summery Chicken Pasta Salad
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 ears fresh yellow corn
- 16 oz mini bow tie pasta
- 12 slices (12 oz) bacon, cooked, drained and chopped*
- 12 oz. grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped English cucumber (about 3/4 of one medium)
- 1 cup chopped green onions (about 5)
- 3 1/2 cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken, chilled
- 1/4 cup pasta water, or more as needed
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, dill, garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season the water with salt (I use about 2 Tbsp).
- Add corn and boil (while turning as needed so all sides cook), 4 minutes. Remove corn and let cool while keeping water boiling.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook to al dente according to times listed on pasta package. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before draining pasta.
- Transfer drained pasta to a greased baking sheet and let cool 10 to 20 minutes.
- Cut corn kernels from corn cobs.
- In a extra large bowl add cooled pasta, corn, bacon, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, cucumber, green onions, and cooked chicken.
- Pour dressing over along with 1/4 cup pasta water then toss to evenly coat. Thin with more pasta water as needed (as it rests it will thicken) and season with more salt as needed.
- If time allows let flavors meld in fridge for 1 to 2 hours, otherwise it can be served right away.
- *To cook bacon I bake in a 400 degree oven on a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. It takes about 15 to 23 minutes depending on the thickness of the bacon. Using tongs transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Optionally you can also add 1 diced avocado to salad or some cayenne pepper to taste for a kick of heat.
- Recipe makes about 18 cups.
- Recipe can be halved for a smaller group. If doing so just use these amounts: 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise, 2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 cup parsley, 1 1/2 tsp dried dill, 1 tsp garlic, salt and pepper to taste, 1 ear corn, 8 oz mini bow tie pasta, 6 slices cooked bacon, 1/2 cup green onions, 6 oz. grape tomatoes, 4 oz. sharp cheddar, 3/4 cup chopped english cucumber, 1 3/4 cup cooked chicken, 2 Tbsp pasta water.