Chocolate Sugar Cookies with Peanut Butter Frosting – Cookie dreams come true with these delicious, indulgent cookies. Traditional sugar cookies meet rich cocoa then they’re finished with a fluffy peanut butter frosting for one incredible cookie that tastes just like a Reese’s!
These cookies have one of the best flavor combinations, chocolate and peanut butter. They go together like salt and pepper. They were made to be together. If you love chocolate or peanut butter, and especially Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups then these are the cookie for you!
I love switching up the flavors on the traditional sugar cookie, because who doesn’t love a frosted sugar cookie? I started with the Original Bakery Style Sugar Cookie, then the Sugar Cookie Squares and then a real switch up with Cornbread Sugar Cookies with Honey Butter Frosting (also in Squares). I also have more combinations in mind, so stay tuned for more sugar cookie posts in the future =).
Follow Cooking Classy
Cookie dreams come true with these delicious, indulgent cookies. Traditional sugar cookies meet rich cocoa then they're finished with a fluffy peanut butter frosting for one incredible cookie that tastes just like a Reese's!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 9 Tbsp butter , softened (1 stick + 1 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Recipe Peanut Butter Frosting , recipe follows
- Chocolate Nonpareils (optional, but I'd say a fancy must =)
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp butter , softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 - 4 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip together granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter and sour cream until light and fluffy about 3-4 minutes. Stir in egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until incorporated (dough will be thick). Scoop dough out 2 tablespoons at a time and form into balls. Place balls onto greased cookie sheets and evenly flatten to about 1/2 inch thick using your hands. Bake in preheated oven 9 - 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Frost with Peanut Butter Frosting and top with Chocolate Nonpareil Sprinkles if desired.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, whip together peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar and milk (begin with 3 Tbsp then add 1 additional Tbsp milk later if desired), and blend until smooth and fluffy.