Who says healthy food can’t taste absolutely, amazingly delicious? This oatmeal is incredible! I could eat it three meals a day =). I was so in love with the banana oatmeal that I made last week (I’ve been eating it nearly every morning since) that I decided I wanted to try more variations on oatmeal because I’m suddenly an oatmeal lover.
So, I came up with this recipe. This oatmeal tastes just like a cinnamon roll! The incredible things about it are, it’s much healthier, much quicker and it’s even more figure friendly =). You get all the goodness of a cinnamon roll in 5 minutes, rather than waiting around hours for those freshly baked, labor intensive rolls.
You’ll even get a kitchen filled with the warm, reminiscent scent of cinnamon rolls. Serve this up for your kids and it’s likely you’ll get them to eat their oatmeal everyday =). Turn an oatmeal hater into an oatmeal lover with this Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal!
Follow Cooking Classy
Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp light-brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp molasses
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 Tbsp butter (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Cream Cheese or Neufchatel Cheese , softened
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine oats, milk, water, brown sugar, cinnamon, molasses, and salt. Cook oatmeal mixture in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes. Remove from microwave, stir in optional butter and allow to cool several minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, using a fork, whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk until well blended. Drizzle or pipe icing over oatmeal (if you'd like to make the swirl as I did in the photos just make an light indentation in oatmeal with a chopstick, when it has cooled slightly, then pipe icing into indentation). Sprinkle lightly with additional cinnamon if desired. Serve warm.
- Additional serving suggestion: if you like chopped pecans or raisins in your cinnamon rolls feel free to sprinkle some in.