Add this to your collection of farro recipes! This Mediterranean Kale Cannellini and Farro Stew is such a hearty, healthy dinner! It’s packed with veggies and it’s a good source of protein. It makes a delicious dinner plus it reheats well for lunch the next day.
A Farro Filled Stew with Kale and Cannellini Beans
One ingredients I’m trying to cook more with is farro. And this is the perfect recipe for it! The farro makes it filling and adds a nice chew.
This stew has such a bright fresh flavor that’s melded together perfectly after it’s simmered for 30 minutes.
I also love that it’s a healthy soup even my husband and kids enjoy. My 5 year old even said it was one of her favorite soups and asked for more. All around win!
What is Farro Anyway?
- Farro is a healthy, ancient whole grain and part of the wheat family (similar to barely and whole wheat).
- It’s packed with fiber (5 grams per 1/4 cup serving) protein (6 grams per serving) , vitamins (b3), minerals (magnesium, zinc, iron) and antioxidants.
- It has a delicious nutty flavor and unique, chewy texture. To me the texture is similar to a short grain brown rice.
More Soup Recipes You Might Like
Follow Cooking Classy
Mediterranean Kale, Cannellini and Farro Stew
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup carrots diced (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup farro , rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt , to taste
- 1/2 cup slightly packed parsley sprigs (stems included)
- 4 cups slightly packed chopped kale , thick ribs removed
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese , crumbled, for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, onion and celery and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in vegetable broth, tomatoes, farro, oregano, bay leaf and season with salt to taste.
- Add parsley in a mound to soup and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat just below medium.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Then remove parsley, stir in kale and cook 10 - 15 minutes longer until both farro and kale are tender.
- Adding in cannellini beans and heat through, about 1 minute.
- Remove bay leaf, stir in lemon juice and add additional vegetable broth or some water to thin soup as desired (the farro will absorb more liquid as the soup rests).
- Serve warm topping each serving with feta cheese.