Moroccan Sweet Potato Lentil Soup – a healthy, hearty vegetarian soup that’s so delicious no one will even miss the meat! It’s packed with nutritious ingredients and it’s sure to leave you craving more!
Best Sweet Potato Soup with Exciting Moroccan Flavors!
The lentils in it add protein and fiber which make it more filling while the sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin a – plus they add a delicious, light natural sweetness that blends perfectly with the moroccan spices used in this soup.
This is a great recipe to use all those sweet potatoes that are in season right now. It might not be the first thing you’d think to make with the sweet potatoes you just bought at the store, well that is until you try it.
Made with Basic Healthy Ingredients
Once you taste it it will be a go to recipe to use up those sweet potatoes sitting in your pantry! My family loved this soup and it’s a recipe I’ll want to make again and again during the cold months ahead.
Plus, I love that I always have most of ingredients for this soup on hand. It’s a convenient meal to make any day of the week.
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Olive oil
- Produce – yellow onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, sweet potatoes, cilantro
- Spices – cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, salt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Vegetable broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Brown lentils
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup with Lentils
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion and carrot 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and saute 1 minute.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and spices. Saute 1 minute.
- Stir in vegetable broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and lentils.
- Bring to a light boil, reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes have softened, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in half the cilantro and serve with remainder.
More Sweet Potato Soup Recipes You’ll Love!
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Moroccan Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 large carrot, diced (1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 2 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, then more if desired
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and saute 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute 1 minute longer. Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika and cinnamon.
- Saute 1 minute. Stir in vegetable broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and lentils. Season with salt to taste.
- Bring to a light boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes are soft and lentils are tender, about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Thin with up to 1 more cup of broth if desired. Stir in half of the cilantro then serve with remaining cilantro.