Quinoa Shrimp Fried Rice is a healthier, tasty take on the classic ham fried rice. It’s made with nutritious quinoa (no white rice), carrots, peas, edamame, shrimp and a delicious seasoning. A hearty exciting recipe!
Shrimp Fried Rice with Quinoa
I also made this Chicken Fried Rice (made with brown rice) which I shared a few years ago and next I might even have to try a cauliflower version which replaces the white rice but for now I’m absolutely loving this quinoa and shrimp version!
A Crave Worthy Recipe!
This Quinoa Shrimp “Fried Rice” is packed with veggies and protein and it will leave you craving more! I’m always craving good Asian food and this is definitely worthy of being added to the list of favorites.
Not only do I love the quinoa addition here but I love the addition of edamame in this recipe.
I was hesitant on whether or not to add because I don’t think I’ve ever added it to a fried rice before but I actually loved it and I might just always have to add it to my fried rice now.
I always love to sneak in another veggie while still making it taste great!
How to Cook Quinoa Fried Rice
- Cook quinoa, set aside.
- Cook shrimp, set aside.
- Saute veggies.
- Scramble and cook eggs.
- Add quinoa and shrimp to pan, cook briefly with soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil.
- Toss in cilantro and serve warm.
This is such a quick and easy meal that you can have on the dinner table in no time, especially if you planned ahead and made some extra quinoa with your meal the day prior.
If you didn’t make the quinoa a day in advance no worries, it will still work fine with freshly cooked quinoa.
Just be sure to drain off any extra liquid well or maybe even wrap it in a few paper towels to absorb any excess moisture. That way it will absorb the added seasonings better.
More Family Friendly Recipes You’ll Love
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Quinoa Shrimp “Fried Rice”
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 12 oz medium (51-60) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 tsp olive oil , divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots blend
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions (about 4 stalks)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tsp peeled and finely minced ginger
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce , or to taste
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preferably the day before preparing this dish cook quinoa according to directions on package in 2 cups water. Chill in an airtight container in refrigerator until ready to use.
- The quinoa can also be cooked just before preparing the recipe, just drain off any excess liquid.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a 12-inch (fairly deep) non-stick skillet or non-stick wok over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp, season lightly with salt and cook, tossing occasionally until shrimp are opaque and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
- Add another 2 tsp oil to skillet. Add peas and carrots, edamame, green onions, garlic and ginger and saute 3 minutes. Push veggies over to one side of the pan.
- Add remaining 2 tsp oil to opposite side of the pan. Add in eggs and cook and scramble until they are just set (but are still slightly runny).
- Add quinoa and shrimp to skillet. Drizzle in soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil.
- Cook and toss until liquid has evaporated, about 2 - 3 minutes. Toss in cilantro and serve warm.