This Veg Fried Rice is a colorful side dish no one can resist! It’s made with brown rice and is loaded with veggies. Add this vegetable fried rice recipe to your weekly recipe rotation now!
Easy Veg Fried Rice
Who doesn’t love fried rice? It’s a classic Chinese takeout side that no one can resist! This time around we are making it healthier by swapping out the white rice with brown, omitting the ham and packing in the veggies.
You get a veggie overload in this vegetable fried rice recipe and you are going to love it! And it’s so filling that you could even count this as your main dish instead of just a side.
If you really wanted to, you could even dice up some chicken breasts into small pieces and cook those in the wok first, set them aside and then add them back in when you add the rice. It’s so good as it is though that it really doesn’t need any thing else added to it!
This veg fried rice may require a bit of chopping, but the rest is a breeze. I recommend making the brown rice the day before as it will absorb the sauce better, but if you didn’t plan that far in advance though no big deal.
It’s not going to ruin it if you didn’t, you may just want to stir fry a bit longer at the end to help the excess moisture evaporate.
Since I made this a few days ago and we devoured it in no time, I already can’t wait to make this again! I think this may just become a regular for us.
Vegetable Fried Rice Ingredients
What I love about this fried rice recipe is that it incorporates both frozen and fresh vegetables, which means you likely have most of the ingredients on hand already. For this veg fried rice recipe, you need:
- Cooked brown rice
- Canola oil
- Yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Red bell pepper
- Frozen peas
- Frozen corn
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
How to Make Vegetable Fried Rice
- Prep the veggies (dice the onion, chop the bell pepper, etc).
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, then add the carrots, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add broccoli and bell pepper and sauté until the veggies are soft.
- Move the veggies to the side of the skillet and crack in the eggs to scramble.
- Add in the peas, corn, rice, soy sauce and sesame oil and continue cooking until heated through.
How to Reheat Fried Rice
If you have leftover fried rice, I recommend reheating it in a skillet with a little olive or canola oil. If the rice seems dry to you, add in a tablespoon or so of water (you may not need to do this though).
Can I Use Different Veggies in This Recipe?
Feel free to use whatever vegetables — fresh or frozen — that you have on hand. This vegetable fried rice is a great catch-all recipe that can be adapted however you like.
Tips for the Best Fried Rice
- I like to cook the brown rice with a little less water than the package calls for so that it soaks up the soy sauce and vegetable juices better.
- Dice the veggies into even-sized pieces so they cook at the same rate.
- You can add more or less soy sauce than this recipe calls for to suit your taste.
More Easy Asian Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry
- Orange Chicken
- Teriyaki Shrimp and Asparagus
- Korean Beef Bowls
- Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry
Follow Cooking Classy
Veg Fried Rice
A flavorful, colorful, veg fried rice! Made with brown rice and loaded with veggies instead of ham for a healthier alternative.
- 3 cups cooked and chilled brown rice*
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced carrots (dice somewhat thin)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups small diced broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup small diced red bell pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup frozen petite peas , thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup frozen petite corn , thawed and drained
- 3 - 4 Tbsp soy sauce , to taste
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
Heat oil in a large non-stick wok (or large, deep skillet) over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onions, garlic and ginger and saute 3 minutes.
Add broccoli and bell pepper and saute until veggies are soft, about 3 - 4 minutes. Move veggies over to one side of the pan, crack eggs into opposite side and scramble and cook through.
Stir rice, peas, corn, soy sauce and sesame oil and cook and toss 2 minutes. Serve warm.
- *I like to cook the brown rice with a little less water than listed on the package so it's not so moist and absorbs the soy sauce and moisture from the veggies better. It also works best if you can prepare the rice a day in advance.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy