Sausage Zucchini and Brown Rice is an easy, flavorful one pan meal you’ll want on repeat! It includes a whole grain, veggies, and lean protein so you just can’t go wrong here. The perfect busy day recipe!
Tasty One Pan Sausage Recipe!
This is a family friendly recipe that everyone can agree on. It also reheats well if you’re lucky enough to have any left for lunch the next day!
It’s packed with nutritious brown rice, smoked flavorful sausage, hearty black beans, and lots of veggies including zucchini, onion, tomatoes, and bell pepper.
How to Make Sausage and Zucchini and Brown Rice Skillet
- Saute veggies in a skillet.
- Add sausage and cook.
- Add rice, chicken broth, seasonings and black beans.
- Boil then simmer, then rest off heat.
- Add parsley, serve with cheese.
Tips for This Recipe
- Of course I think this is better with cheese, everything is better with cheese. But if you are looking to cut calories feel free to omit it.
- Add corn for another veggie.
- If you don’t like heat just leave out the cayenne pepper, and if you love heat add in some extra.
- If you don’t have parsley on hand but you do have cilantro I think that would be another good herb here and again don’t hesitate to add more to taste if you’d like.
That’s the great thing about home cooking, you can make it exactly how you like. Just don’t sway too far from the recipe here though because I thought it was spot on delicious :). It’s like Spanish rice meets sausage and zucchini and it’s a seriously tasty combo!
More Sausage Recipes You’ll Love
- Sheet Pan Sausage Potato and Pepper Hash
- Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- Autumn Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
- Garlic Herb Sausage and Veggie Foil Packs
- Sausage Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
Follow Cooking Classy
This is such an easy, flavorful one pan meal you'll want on repeat! It includes a whole grain, lots of veggies, and lean protein so you just can't go wrong here. The perfect busy day recipe!
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups halved and sliced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 oz . smoked turkey sausage , sliced
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice (such as Minute brown rice)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet (that's at least 2-inches deep) over medium-high heat. Add in yellow onion and saute, stirring frequently, 4 minutes. Add in zucchini, bell pepper and garlic and saute 2 minutes longer. Push veggies to one side (and preferably pull that side of the pan off the burner heat slightly while cooking the sausage) then add sausage to the now empty side and cook until it's starting to brown, turning occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in rice, tomatoes and chicken broth. Season with chili powder, cumin, thyme, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Stir then pour in black beans, bring mixture to a boil. Cover pan with lid and reduce temperature to medium. Allow to boil gently 5 - 6 minutes then remove from heat, toss and let rest 8 - 10 minutes until rice is tender. Drain off excess liquid if desired. Toss in parsley and serve warm with cheese.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy