Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning. This recipe has such a delicious blend of spices and it’s the perfect quick seasoning addition to Mexican and Tex-Mex foods. It’s great for seasoning beef, chicken, pork, seafood, vegetarian recipes and more!
Love those classic Tex-Mex flavors? Also try my Ground Beef Tacos (you can use 1 1/2 Tbsp of this taco seasoning instead of using those spices listed) and try this easy Taco Salad. Two weeknight staples!
Taco Seasoning Recipe
So you may be trying this for the first time because you’ve realized you’ve got a recipe that calls for taco seasoning and you’re all out of the store-bought stuff. But then once you try it and see how easy it is, and more cost effective (especially if you buy bulk spices) you’ll be using this homemade blend all the time!
It really only takes a few minutes from start to finish, just gathering up each of the spices, measuring out and whisking everything together. It really couldn’t be easier.
I love homemade spice blends because you can also adjust them to taste (making them less spicy, salty, more well seasoned with other spices, etc), and it’s the perfect shortcut or head start to simplify recipes.
Ways to Use Taco Seasoning
Here are just a few ideas of different dishes to use taco seasoning in but the possibilities are endless:
- Taco salad
- Rice bowls
- Taco soup
- 7 layer dip
- Roasted vegetables
- Add a little to homemade salsa
What Spices Go Into This Easy Taco Seasoning?
For this homemade blend you’ll need:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper (optional, if you want it spicy)
How to Make Taco Seasoning
Easy as can be, just add all spices to a mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
How to Store Taco Seasoning?
Store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry area, away from direct light. Recycle – you can remove label from an empty glass spice jar (just wash and dry well first) and store it in that.
How Long Does It Keep For?
It should keep well (if properly stored) for 1 year. You can just place of small piece of tape at the bottom of the jar to write the date as a reminder.
Can I Make a Double Batch?
Yes of course. You can multiply the recipe by as many times as you’d like.
- Add 1/2 tsp coriander for another layer of flavor.
- Add 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder. It is delicious in Mexican food.
- Swap the onion powder for 1 tsp dried onion flakes instead.
- Add 1 tsp cornstarch (did you know some store-bought blends include this?) if you want it to lightly thicken sauces.
- Adjust the amount of salt added. You can even make it salt-free if preferred, then season as you add to each dish.
- Use red pepper flakes instead of cayenne pepper.
- Try it with different types of chili powder (Ancho, New Mexico, etc) or use a blend of several.
- Use fresh ground spices.
More Mexican Recipes You’ll Love
Follow Cooking Classy
This easy recipe has such a delicious blend of spices and it's the perfect flavor addition to Mexican and Tex-Mex foods. It's great for seasoning beef, chicken, pork, seafood, vegetarian recipes and more!
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional for a spicy flavor)
Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk together. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.