A must have salad dressing recipe! This rich and creamy dried basil Pesto Salad Dressing tastes just like the Old Spaghetti Factory’s! And did I mention it’s super easy to make and only calls for a few simple ingredients? You can’t beat that!
My Go-To Salad Dressing
There are three reasons I go to The Old Spaghetti Factory. The warm sourdough bread. The spumoni ice cream. And the creamy pesto salad dressing!
I loved it so much since I was a kid that I decided to figure out how to make it on my own and this is what I’ve came up with (many years ago).
And it’s been a family favorite every since.
I make this dressing probably more than any other. It’s one of the easiest dressing recipes, yet it’s so flavorful and satisfying.
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Dried basil
- Garlic powder
How to Make Creamy Pesto Salad Dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Pour into an airtight container and refrigerate 30 minutes. Serve over green salad.
Homemade Salad Dressing doesn’t get any easier!
Where’s the Fresh Basil?
The term “Pesto” in the dressing is kind of funny to me because there isn’t even fresh basil in it but I stuck with the name all the same.
I love the signature flavor of the dried basil in the dressing and actually wouldn’t recommend substituting fresh here.
Can I Use the Buttermilk Substitute?
I don’t recommend using the milk + vinegar/lemon juice substitute for the buttermilk. I’ve tried and it doesn’t quite taste the same. Unfortunately.
I also love this dressing on a salad with chicken – for more of a main dish instead of a side dish. But it’s also perfect on a side salad to go with your spaghetti.
More Salad Dressing Recipes You’ll Love
- Italian Salad Dressing
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Caesar Salad Dressing
- Poppy Seed Dressing
- Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- Lemon Vinaigrette
The Old Spaghetti Factory’s Creamy Pesto Salad Dressing Copycat
This rich and creamy dried basil Pesto Salad Dressing tastes just like the Old Spaghetti Factory's! It's perfect over a simple crisp green salad. It only takes minutes to make and calls for a few simple ingredients!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (full fat)
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tsp dried basil*
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup freshly, finely grated Parmesan cheese**
Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until well blended.
Pour into an airtight container and refrigerate 30 minutes. Serve over green salad.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy
- *Don't use stale dried basil (as in one that has been sitting in the cupboard for a year or two). A fresher pack is best.
- **I use the the pokey side of a box grater to get the fine grate. Just be careful. Also store bought grated parmesan such as Kraft can be used as well when in a rush.