This delicious and healthy Vegetable Chili is so hearty and filling and it’s perfect for cold winter nights! It’s jam packed with nutritious veggies and a fair amount of protein from the two types of beans. It’s a soup the whole family will love, even the meat lovers!
I love that this is a soup I can feel great about feeding my family. I mean how else am I going to get my kids to eat 6 kinds of veggies in one sitting??
And it doesn’t taste much different then a meat heavy chili thanks to all those flavorful Mexican spices.
If you want to make this vegan then opt for a vegan cheese and sour cream, or just omit them both altogether.
I highly recommend serving this soup with avocado even though it is listed as optional, avocados make everything better!
Really I don’t normally add avocado to chili but it works perfect here with all the veggies. And it adds a healthy fat to a lean soup.
Serve this Vegetable Chili with tortilla chips or crackers if you love dunking and dipping in soup like I do.
Or you could also crumble them up and sprinkle over the top. They definitely aren’t a must though.
Add this delicious chili to the menu this week! You won’t regret it, and you’ll be so glad the next day if you’ve got some left over for lunch!
This chili is jam packed with nutritious veggies and it's so good no one will even miss the meat! It's perfectly hearty and healthy and it's a dinner you can feel great about eating! I'd even say it's a recipe worthy of the recipe book.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, cored and diced (3 cups. Preferably 1 red 1 green)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can vegetable broth, then more to thin if desired
- 2 Tbsp chili powder (mild)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small zucchini, ends trimmed, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Desired toppings (i.e. cheese, avocado, red onion, sour cream, cilantro) (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onion, and carrots and saute 3 minutes.
Add garlic and saute 2 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring mixture to a light boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in zucchini, simmer 10 minutes longer. Stir in corn, kidney beans and black beans and heat through, about 2 minutes longer.
Thin with more broth, up to 1 cup as desired. Serve warm with toppings of your choice.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy