The ultimate comfort food! Lasanga + soup, two of the world’s best foods. A few years ago I shared a recipe for a beef lasagna soup and for the longest time I’ve been meaning to share a vegetarian version, so finally here it is. This delicious Vegetable Lasagna Soup is so good you won’t even miss the meat! It’s still perfectly hearty and totally filling and it is brimming with tons of fresh vegetables. Even my meat loving husband loved this soup! And of course I found myself heading back for a second bowl because it is just soooo good!
I really like that this is a blend of healthy and indulgent so you get the best of both worlds. You get all the vitamins etc. etc. from the veggies and then you get that epic, utterly delicious, melty cheesy goodness that you swirl into your soup and swoon over with each bite. MMMMM I can’t wait for another bowl!
And of course what’s a good soup without some bakery fresh crusty bread to go with it. Yes, I’m a carboholic. Too true. After eating this we ended with Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting for dessert. It was justified because of that overload of veggies I consumed with this meal :).
Vegetable Lasagna Soup
Yield: About 7 servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion , chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots (about 3 medium)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 medium zucchini (8 oz), ends trimmed, chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash (8 oz), ends trimmed, chopped
- 5 oz button mushrooms , sliced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each dried thyme and rosemary (crushed)
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 lasagna noodles (7 oz), broken into bite size pieces (see important note*)
- 3 cups packed spinach (3 oz), roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and saute until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Add in broth, water, tomatoes and tomato sauce, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then add pasta (or boil pasta in a separate pot as listed in notes) then reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally (loosen any noodles that may stick to the bottom when stirring), until pasta is tender, about 10 - 13 minutes.
Meanwhile in a mixing bowl stir together mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta while seasoning lightly with salt to taste.
Stir spinach into soup and allow to heat through until wilted (it will wilt quickly, about 30 seconds). Serve soup warm topped with spoonfuls of the cheese mixture (just swirl it lightly into your personal serving - it will melt quickly) and sprinkle with parsley if desired.