If you like poppy seed salad dressing then this is the chicken salad of your dreams! This chicken salad is amazing and so simple! I was shopping at Sam’s Club several weeks ago and taste tested some Sonoma Chicken Salad, it was delicious so I had to figure out how to make it at home. Following is the recipe I’ve come up with. It is my new favorite chicken salad. I’m going to start using the dressing to drizzle over green salads as well. My recommendation for the easiest way to make this is to cook the chicken in a slow cooker over night, toss it in an airtight container in the morning and refrigerate it, then by lunch time it will be cool enough to shred or chop and toss into the salad. I know this is going to be my new favorite dish for picnic lunches this summer. Just be sure after eating this chicken salad to smile real big… and check your teeth for poppy seeds =).
Note: some other good substitutions for the dried cranberries would be diced apples or grapes and another good nut option would be almonds or cashews, but I would recommend trying the recipe as written at least once. The ingredients listed are a perfect combination together. When served over some fresh rustic bread this sandwich is to die for!
- 3 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (about 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, such as Craisins, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Sliced bread, for serving (here is a great recipe)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard (optional)
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl toss together shredded chicken, celery, pecans, dried cranberries and Parmesan cheese, set aside. In a separate mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients listed for the dressing until well blended. Pour dressing mixture over chicken mixture and toss to evenly coat. Serve over sliced bread, croissants or rolls. Store in refrigerator.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy