Chicken salad meets Greek chicken gyros! This is the perfect summer, veggie packed chicken salad. It’s great for lunch or a healthy dinner. It’s made with a healthy Greek yogurt dressing versus the traditional mayo heavy dressing you get in chicken salad.
Who knows why I haven’t thought of this until now but tzatziki makes the perfect (and healthy) dressing for a chicken salad. Ever since my sister got me hooked on chicken salad many years ago I’ve loved making it and trying out different variations.
It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s healthy (when made with greek yogurt instead of all mayonnaise) and of course it tastes so delicious. We’ve been visiting a mediterranean restaurant lately so it’s inspiring me to make more Greek food at home.
I love all the vegetables and herbs, it makes me feel like I am actually walking away with some nutrition from my meal rather than just eating a greasy, heavy meal for dinner that’s giving me nothing but a larger jean size (which don’t get me wrong, I still love those meals on occasion too, just in moderation).
This chicken salad is perfect for putting in a wrap or pita pocket, sandwiching between rolls or croissants or just serving in perfectly soft slices of whole grain bread. With this you are basically getting the filling inside a Greek chicken gyro all blended together in one amazing salad.
The nuts in this are completely optional, I only added them to get a little bit of that extra crunch that I’m used to in a traditional chicken salad.
If you don’t like kalamata olives you could swap them out for black. And if you’re having a hard time finding Persian cucumbers you could use English (hot house) cucumbers but you may want to seed them before adding to the salad. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts , cooked, chilled to cool and diced*
- 1 cup diced cucumbers (I use mini)
- 3/4 cup sliced grape tomatoes (I sliced each into 3 slices)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese , crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup diced Kalamata olives
- 3 Tbsp sliced almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice , preferably fresh
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
FOR THE SANDWICHES: To a mixing bowl add, diced chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, red onion, Kalamata olives and sliced almonds. Add dressing and toss to evenly coat.
Serve over bread, rolls, croissants, wraps, or in pita pockets.
FOR THE DRESSING: In a mixing bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together to blend and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- *To cook the chicken I placed the raw chicken in the slow cooker, added 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth and a bit of salt and fresh ground black pepper then covered with lid and cooked on low heat until cooked through about 3 - 4 hours.
- For best results serve within 3 hours of preparing (for best crunchiness of cucumbers and almonds), store in refrigerator.
- Nutrition estimate is for chicken salad portion only, no bread or other.