That time of year has come too quickly – the time where I’ve had this cold for two weeks and the only thing I want to eat is soup. Speaking of I need some breakfast soups in my life. Are those a thing? They should be.
So about this soup, it is similar to some of the other tortellini soups I’ve made, like this Spinach Tomato and Garlic Tortellini Soup and this Tuscan Tortellini Soup, but of course this one has plenty of meat. And my husband is not complaining! This soup is a breeze to make and it’s a soup you’ll want to make again and again. I mean it has tortellini, how could it go wrong? I could live on tortellini, I absolutely love the stuff and it makes for some of the best soups!
If you happen to have some fresh Italian herbs on hand like basil, thyme, marjoram, oregano or rosemary you can use some of those in place of some of the italian blend to add more fresh flavor. But since it’s fall I decided to just go with the dried herbs because that’s likely what most of you have on hand right now. And using the Italian herb blend worked perfectly for this soup rather than listing out 5 or 6 different herbs to add to the soup.
This hearty soup is just the comfort food I needed today and I can’t wait to make it again! I hope you enjoy it too!
Italian Sausage, Kale and Tortellini Soup
- 16 - 19 oz mild or hot italian sausage (pork or turkey), removed from casings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/3 cups chopped carrots (3 medium)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 5 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (I used one petite cut, one regular)
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 9 oz . refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 2 cups packed chopped kale (thick ribs removed)
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese , for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Crumble sausage into pot and brown, stirring and breaking up sausage occasionally, until cooked through. Drain sausage onto a plate lined with several layers of paper towels while reserving 1 Tbsp rendered fat in pot (if there's not a tbsp just add 1 more tbsp olive oil to pot). Add onions and carrots and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a light boil, return sausage to pot, cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until carrots are nearly tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in tortellini and kale then cover and cook 7 - 9 minutes longer. Serve warm with parmesan cheese if desired (note that as the soup rests the tortellini will absorb more broth so you can add more broth or water to thin as desired).
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy