You know how I love my sheet pan meals and here’s a new favorite! This Sheet Pan Pesto Chicken with Asparagus, Tomatoes and Walnuts is a simple meal that’s brimming with flavor – because duh it’s packed with fresh pesto! Homemade pesto makes any meal incredible doesn’t it? And it’s just so easy to make, the food processor does most of the work. So really all there is to this meal is a bit of chopping, making a quick pesto, toss it all together on a sheet pan, roast it for about 20 mins and taaaadah your seriously delicious dinner is done! And now I want to eat this everyday. This is my kind of dinner!
One of the main highlights of this sheet pan chicken dinner (which we may not thick would be a highlight but they are) are those perfectly crunchy and buttery walnuts. I absolutely love walnuts! If I had to pick one favorite nut it would probably be walnuts. I eat them almost everyday whether it be for a snack or as part of a meal. My go-to brand for walnuts is Fisher Nuts. I love that they are preservative free and salt-free, they’re heart healthy and an excellent source of those hard to find omega-3 fatty acids, plus I love that they’re just so tasty. Here I love the flavor and crunch they add to the dish, plus they make it just that much more filling. I also used them in the pesto as well, did you know you can always substitute the pine nuts in basil pesto with walnuts? They’re a cheaper alternative and they add the perfect nutty creaminess to the pesto. Try for yourself and see! I hope you love these meal as much and my family and I did! It’s the perfect heart healthy meal to serve on Valentines Day too!
- 1 1/2 cups (48g) packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Fishers Walnuts Halves and Pieces
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb asparagus (don't use thick spears), tough ends trimmed and discarded remaining diced into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint (2 c) fresh grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Fishers Walnuts Halves and Pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the pesto:
- Add basil leaves, 1/4 cup walnuts, parmesan and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste and pulse until everything is finely chopped and well combined. Set aside.
- Line a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken and asparagus on sheet pan, pour over 1/4 cup of the basil pesto. Season chicken and asparagus with salt and pepper and toss everything to evenly coat. Spread into an even layer (don't let chicken pieces overlap) and roast in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, carefully drain off excess liquid from one corner if possible (use a spatula as a guard to keep the ingredients from falling). Add tomatoes, toss everything and return to oven and continue to roast until chicken is cooked through (larger pieces should register 165 degrees in center on an instant read thermometer) and veggies are tender, about 8 - 12 minutes longer. Remove from oven, spoon over another 1/4 cup of the pesto and toss (or just add the 1/4 cup to individual servings). Sprinkle in walnuts. Serve immediately with more pesto if desired (or just reserve remaining pesto in refrigerator for another use - it can be frozen also).
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Fisher nuts. The opinions and text are all mine.