I don’t make Thai food often but when I do I always love it! These Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles were no exception! They are easy to make, they require minimal cooking (the only thing that needs to be cooked is the pasta) and I love the crunch factor from the fresh veggies, peanuts and sesame seeds. And lets not forget the spice! I’m all about the Sriracha! I could eat it on anything, okay except cupcakes. Hmmm, well maybe. I’ve always loved spicy food. Let me rephrase that, I’ve always constantly craved spicy food. I just love that kick. Sriracha was made for Asian food which is why it goes so well with these noodles. I listed the recipe to use 2 tablespoons but just adjust that according to your personal preference, this is fairly spicy (like spicy enough I knew I couldn’t get my kids to eat it) but if you love spicy foods you may likely want a bit more, just don’t overdue it or it can become the only thing you taste. Which is also the reason I like to take it easy on the sesame oil, I still want to be able to taste the peanut flavor and not just a bold sesame flavor. I like a nice balance with all the flavors in this.
You could most definitely add some cooked chicken breasts to this recipe to add another protein, I just opted keep things simple and leave it out. Plus it made a for a seriously delicious vegetarian meal which I love to make every now and then. If you’d like to add chicken though it would pair well with everything here, especially if you grilled it and gave it that nice depth of flavor. Grilled chicken is always the best right? Now go make some of these crave worthy noodles, their unique yet irresistible flavor will have you coming back for more!
- 12 oz spaghetti (I used Barilla White Fiber)
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips then cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced into thin strips then cut into-2-inch pieces
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup lightly salted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha (more or less to taste)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- Cook spaghetti according to directions listed on package. Meanwhile prepare peanut sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl, whisking until well blended and smooth.
- Drain pasta and pour into a large serving bowl. Toss with sauce then add bell pepper, cucumber, green onions, cilantro and peanuts and toss lightly. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
- Recipe source: adapted slightly from Gourmet