This Birthday Cake Milkshake Recipe uses just three ingredients and comes together in under 5 minutes. This is the best homemade milkshake I’ve ever made!
Easy Homemade Milkshake Recipe
Have you tried a cake batter milkshake or cake batter ice cream yet? When we were at the ice cream shop over the holiday, my younger brother kept talking up this cake batter ice cream they had and told me I had to try it.
I did try it, and I’m so glad I did because it was amazing! It tasted just like vanilla ice cream with a white cake mix blended in.
I rarely get out the cake mix since I’m all about making things from scratch. But these homemade milkshakes wouldn’t be the same with a homemade cake mix.
They’d just be missing that flavor we all love, the flavor that reminds us of those batter-covered beaters we’d get to lick when we’d help Mom make a cake when we were kids.
The first time I made these vanilla milkshakes, I tried to make them healthier by using Greek yogurt. While it was fairly good, I couldn’t get my daughter to eat it (she said she just didn’t like them). Sometimes things are just meant to be a little more indulgent!
Hopefully you get around to making these milkshakes soon because they are so easy and so delicious, and your whole family will love them. So forget root beer floats the next time you are looking for a refreshing, ice cold and quick dessert and make these instead!
Birthday Cake Milkshake Ingredients
For this easy milkshake recipe, you’ll need:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Vanilla or funfetti dry cake mix
- Sprinkles (optional)
How to Make a Homemade Milkshake
- Add all ingredients except the sprinkles in a blender.
- Blend until the milkshake is your desired consistency.
Can I Use a Different Cake Mix for This Recipe?
I don’t see why not! You won’t wind up with a birthday cake milkshake, but I’m sure your milkshake would still taste delicious.
Can I Make This Milkshake Dairy-Free?
I haven’t tried it myself, but I’m sure you could use a dairy-free ice cream and non-dairy milk in this milkshake recipe. And I’m fairly certain most cake mixes don’t contain dairy, but check the ingredients label on your boxed cake mix to be safe.
Tips for the Best Milkshakes
- For a thicker milkshake, use slightly less milk than the recipe calls for.
- You can use half-and-half or cream in place of part (or all) of the milk.
- If you want to decorate your milkshake glasses, brush a little corn syrup around the rim then roll the glass in sprinkles.
More Ice Cream Recipes You’ll Love:
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Fried Ice Cream
- Copycat Cold Stone Creamery Sweet Cream Ice Cream
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Follow Cooking Classy
Birthday Cake Milkshakes
This Birthday Cake Milkshake Recipe uses just three ingredients and comes together in under 5 minutes. This is the best homemade milkshake I've ever made!
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk*
- 1/2 cup vanilla or funfetti dry cake mix (from a boxed cake mix, I used Betty Crocker white), or more or less to taste
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender except sprinkles. Blend until smooth. Fold in sprinkles if desired. Pour into cups and serve immediately, garnished with more sprinkles if desired.
- *You can replace some of this with half and half or cream, just depending on how thick and rich you want it.
- Note: I used light corn syrup to stick sprinkles to rim of cup (just a very thin layer). I poured the sprinkles in a container lid and rolled the corn syrup coated rim in sprinkles.