Where has this chicken soup been all my life? Most of us get a yearly cold so this is a recipe we all need in our arsenal to help kick that cold! It’s deliciously flavorful, so comforting on a chilly day and packed with good for you ingredients!
A Healthy Chicken Soup Recipe
Of course I can’t make any guarantees that it will kill that cold but it does contain plenty of ingredients known to be effective in fighting a cold.
- Chicken noodle soup in general is good for a cold with it’s warm broth which can calm congestion and build up (do we want to use the word “mucous” on a food blog – ew) and lean chicken which contains cysteine – an amino acid which can calm a cough and stuffed up nose.
- It’s said that ginger can ease cold symptoms, and fresh garlic contains allicin which destroys bacteria and makes it hard for viruses to stay alive.
- Then lemongrass is said to be a cough reliever and turmeric is high in antioxidants and it’s said that it can boost the immune system.
- And lemon juice is said to help unclog a stuffed up respiratory system. So there’s a whole lot of goodness going on here. Plus it’s packed with veggies and a fresh herb and aren’t those always good for us?
Whether the amounts of the cold fighting ingredients in this soup are high enough to make a difference I can’t say for sure, but what I can say is that this soup is unbelievably delicious and the fact alone that it’s a warm bowl of soup will be so comforting when you’ve got a bad cold. So it’s worth a try.
Plus, we loved this soup so much it will be a regular for us and just maybe it will help not only combat a cold but reduce the risk of getting one in the first place?
My younger brother loved this so much he said it was the best soup he’s ever had – now that’s saying something!
Just be warned it is very yellow as you can see, thanks to the turmeric. Basically you will have mustard yellow chicken.
It took me a second to get used to it but it tasted so good I could have cared less after a few bites.
More Soup Recipes to Try
- Vegetable Soup
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 5 Ingredient Tomato Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
Cold Buster Chicken and Pasta Soup
Most of us get a yearly cold so this is a recipe we all need in our arsenal to help kick that cold! It's deliciously flavorful, so comforting on a chilly day and packed with good for you ingredients!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots (3 medium. Dice small)
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery (3 stalks. Dice small)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 Tbsp peeled and minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemongrass paste (found in the produce by the herbs)
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded evenly to 1/2-inch thickness with flat side of a meat mallet
- 2/3 cup dry acini de pepe or orzo pasta
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add carrots, celery and onions and saute 5 minutes then add ginger, garlic and lemon grass paste and saute 1 minute longer.
Pour in chicken broth, turmeric and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add chicken breasts, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer until chicken has cooked through, about 10 - 15 minutes (it should reach 165 degrees in center on an instant read thermometer).
Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes (note that chicken will be very yellow, it's just the turmeric).
Meanwhile add pasta to soup, cover and boil 10 minutes or as directed on package, stirring occasionally.
Dice chicken into small pieces, return chicken to soup. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Soup Addict