Grilled chicken thighs (or chicken breasts) with a richly flavorful and bright, garlic and herb marinade! It’s a super simple recipe that packs a pleasant flavorful punch.
Marinated Grilled Chicken Thighs
I’ve made this recipe five times in the last few weeks so I figured it’s one of those must share and must try recipes.
You can never have too many chicken recipes but there are those that you have on repeat at the top of the list, this will most likely become one of them.
Especially if you are growing an herb garden and have an abundance of fresh herbs to put to good use.
If you don’t want to buy all the herbs listed I have made this using just the fresh parsley and basil then the rest you can use dried herbs (use 1/3 the amounts listed). But I think critical to keeping this recipe what it is, at least use those two fresh herbs.
After one taste you’ll see why I’m racing. A whole lot of freshness to savor in every bite, and it’s paired with an deliciously inviting aromatic scent too.
People will walk by the grill and instantly be craving whatever is soon to await them at the table.
Garlic Herb Grilled Chicken Ingredients
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs: I don’t recommend using bone-in thighs as they take quite a bit longer to cook and by the time they are done the herbs will have burned up.
- Olive oil: Stick with olive oil for best flavor in this recipe, I don’t recommend substitutes.
- Lemon juice: Only use fresh lemon juice.
- Fresh basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary, and thyme: the highlight of this recipe! Such a delicious Italian style blend!
- Garlic: Stick with fresh not bottled or dried garlic for best flavor.
- Salt and pepper: I like to use nearly 1 tsp salt and pepper.
Scroll down for measurements and directions listed in recipe box.
How to Make the Marinade and Grill the Chicken Thighs
- Make garlic herb marinade: In a medium mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I use about a scant 1 tsp salt and pepper, not included in nutrition estimate).
- Pour marinade over chicken in bag: Place chicken in a gallon size resealable bag. Pour marinade mixture over chicken. Seal bag while pressing out excess air.
- Rub with marinade, let rest in fridge: Rub marinade over chicken while turning pieces to evenly coat with herbs and garlic until it’s evenly distributed. Transfer to refrigerator and let marinate 1 – 8 hours.
- Heat grill, cook chicken though: Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat to about 425 degrees. Grill chicken until center registers 165 degrees in thickest portion, about 5 minutes per side.
- Rest and garnish: Let rest a few minutes before serving. Garnish with more fresh basil and parsley if desired.
How Long to Grill Chicken Thighs
The grill time can vary based on several factors, things such as grill temperature, outside temperature, distance from flame, temp of chicken to begin with etc. For approximate times cooking at medium-high heat:
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 4 – 6 oz. each) take about 5 – 6 minutes per side.
- For other recipes that use bone-in chicken thighs plan on about 10 – 12 minutes per side.
- As always test for doneness to 165 degrees in thickest portion (read on an instant read thermometer).
- Try the recipe using other blends of herbs. Another good option to try Is a poultry herb blend using parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, marjoram. Or a chimichurri style blend with cilantro, parsley and oregano.
- Add extra garlic.
- Try it with extra virgin olive oil for another flavor boost.
- Opt for red or white wine vinegar in place of the lemon.
- Use chicken breasts instead of thighs.
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken Thighs
Of course there are a world of possibilities here but for this grilled chicken thigh recipe I like one of these:
- Grilled Corn on the Cob (I pair this with just about anything in the summer, so simple and so good!)
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Vegetables with Garlic and Herbs
- Honey Roasted Carrots (or go for stovetop cooked, glazed carrots for a no oven option)
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Squash and Tomatoes
- Roasted Broccoli
How to Reheat Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Oven: reheat in the oven at 350 degrees on baking sheet lined with foil and greased until heated through. Plan on about 5 – 10 minutes and tent with foil if needed.
- Microwave: Another option is to use the microwave for individual servings. Reheat on 50% power for a few minutes on a microwave safe plate.
- Stovetop: Reheat in a skillet with a little olive oil, over medium-low heat just until heated through.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes to Try
- Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
- Grilled Chicken with Honey Mustard Glaze
- Grilled Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs
- Tandoori Chicken
Follow Cooking Classy
Grilled chicken thighs (or chicken breasts) with a richly flavorful and bright, garlic and herb marinade! It's a super simple recipe that packs a pleasant flavor punch.
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs* (6 pieces, trim visible fat)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil**
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I use a scant 1 tsp salt and pepper, not included in nutrition estimate).
Place chicken in a gallon size resealable bag. Pour marinade mixture over chicken. Seal bag while pressing out excess air.
Rub marinade over chicken while turning pieces to coat with herbs and garlic until it's evenly distributed.
Transfer to refrigerator and let marinate 1 - 8 hours.
Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat to about 425 degrees.
Grill chicken until center registers 165 degrees in thickest portion, about 5 minutes per side.
Let rest a few minutes before serving. Garnish with more fresh basil and parsley if desired.
- *Chicken breasts may be substituted, use 6 (6 oz) chicken breasts. And check temp in center cooking right to 165. Don't cook higher or they'll start to dry out.
- **I just measure halfway between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup on the liquid measuring cup.
- I like to serve this chicken with parmesan roasted potatoes and grilled corn on the cob.