A healthy Chicken recipe! This Skillet Lemon Parmesan Chicken with Zucchini and Squash is a super easy, super flavorful, one pan chicken and veggie recipe everyone in the family will love! It’s a hearty, bright and lemony dinner that makes great leftovers.
Lemon Parmesan Chicken With Zucchini and Squash
Chances are if you’re growing a garden or live by someone growing a garden, then right about now you have a bunch of zucchini and squash you need to use up. This healthy chicken recipe is the perfect use for it!
My brother, sister and mother-in-law all have gardens (I’m failing this year, someday I need to make time a grow a real deal garden. Last year I had one small box garden, I felt pretty cool) but they are are all generously sharing so much from their gardens (thank you!).
My brother was just telling me how quickly the zucchini and squash grow and he said he planted way too many, so lucky for me I get a bunch of them too. This skillet chicken recipe will be a new go-to use for all the summer squash and zucchini for me.
This lemon Parmesan chicken recipe is about as easy as it gets! Just some quick dicing for prep, then the chicken cooks in about 6 minutes and you set that aside and in the same skillet saute the zucchini and squash for about 4 minutes.
This is how you do simple weeknight dinners! Just be careful not to overcook the veggies as they will go from perfectly tender to mush in what seems like the blink of an eye.
I just can’t get enough of these buttery-herb and lemony, garlic-Parmesan flavors! Make it soon, you’ll be glad you did!
Watch the Video!
Lemon Parmesan Chicken Ingredients
For the chicken and zucchini skillet, you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Herbs and spices (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder)
- Lemon zest and juice
- Yellow squash
- Shredded Parmesan
- Fresh parsley
How to Cook Chicken in a Skillet
- Season diced chicken with herbs, spices and lemon zest, then cook in hot skillet with olive oil and butter.
- Transfer cooked chicken to plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Sauté zucchini and squash in that same skillet, seasoning with the same blend of herbs and spices.
- Return chicken to pan and drizzle in lemon juice. Sprinkle on Parmesan and garnish with fresh parsley, then toss to combine.
- Serve with your choice of rice, orzo, pasta, and more!
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead of Breasts?
Yes, you can use any cut of chicken you’d like here. I prefer using boneless, skinless chicken in this recipe, but feel free to use whatever you see fit.
Just keep in mind that you may need to adjust the cook time slightly depending on how large you dice the chicken and what cut of meat you use.
Can I Add More Veggies to This Chicken Skillet?
Of course! Lemon Parmesan chicken pairs well with almost any vegetable. I recommend using seasonal produce that cooks at roughly the same rate as the zucchini and squash (that way you’re not having to take ingredients in and out of the skillet to accommodate different cook times).
Tips for the Best Skillet Chicken and Veggies
- Before cooking the chicken, dab it dry — preferably on both sides — and use a hot skillet. Try to give the pieces some space so you can get that nice golden brown sear for added flavor.
- Use shredded Parmesan cheese for the best texture and flavor, and not the cheese that comes in a shaker can.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the brightest, freshest flavor.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
- Grilled Greek Lemon Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- Sheet Pan Hawaiian Chicken
- Honey Lime Chicken Skewers
- Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Skillet Lemon Parmesan Chicken with Zucchini and Squash
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite size pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp butter, divided (or more olive oil)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder*, divided
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest, plus more for serving
- 10 oz. (2 small) zucchini, sliced and halved if wider
- 10 oz. (2 small) yellow squash, sliced and halved if wider
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan, or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Dab chicken dry with paper towels. Season with a fair amount of salt and pepper, 2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, onion powder and lemon zest then toss to coat (I just added the seasonings to the chicken on the cutting board). Melt butter in pan with olive oil then add chicken and cook 3 minutes then flip and cook opposite side until chicken has cooked through (center of larger pieces should register 165 degrees), about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and squash, then season with salt, 1 tsp Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Cook tossing occasionally until just tender, about 4 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan with zucchini and squash. Drizzle in lemon juice and toss. Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley. Serve warm with more parmesan and lemon zest if desired (I served mine over cooked orzo which is delicious).
- *1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic may be substituted. Add half of it to the chicken halfway through cooking and add half to the zucchini/squash when added to the skillet.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy