Lemon Roasted Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Lemon Roasted Potatoes – perfectly browned in the oven and enhanced with vibrant lemon and fresh and flavorful garlic and herbs!
Roasted Potatoes with Greek Lemon Flavors
At our house one of our favorite sides is potatoes. The great thing about them is not only are they incredibly filling but there are endless ways to prepare them.
- mash them or smash them
- roast them
- bake them whole and top with the works
- slice and smother in a cheesy sauce
- twice bake them
- shred and saute them
- make those classic french fries we all love
- toss them in a soup
- prepare a traditional potato salad and so much more
I think it’s safe to say the humble potato is easily one the worlds most versatile vegetables, and with their mild and neutral flavor the possibilities of seasoning them are endless.
Here it’s all about roasting for a well developed, nicely browned flavor, and adding bold and bright lemon to upgrade them.
Why You’ll Love These
- These potatoes are a great side to pair with so many things.
- There’s not a whole lot of effort required.
- Not many ingredients are needed.
- It’s a healthy side.
- They’re inexpensive.
- And thanks to the lemon they’re perfectly flavorful!
Lemon Roasted Potatoes Ingredients
- Yukon gold potatoes: These are a sturdy potato, perfect for soaking in fresh lemon.
- Olive oil: Don’t use extra virgin olive oil as it will smoke when roasting at high temperatures.
- Dried oregano: This is a traditional herb used in Greek food but you can try with other herbs (see note below).
- Fresh parsley: This adds a nice color contrast and final layer of flavor. If possible stick with fresh.
- Lemons: One large lemon will yield enough juice, or two medium.
- Garlic: If you want extra garlicky potatoes feel free to double up on the amount.
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste.
Scroll down to recipe box for measurements.
How to Make Roasted Potatoes with Lemon
- Heat oven, prepare pan: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a rimmed, light colored, 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Why not dark pan? Potatoes will burn.
- Toss potatoes with oil and seasonings: Place potatoes in center of baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper then toss to evenly coat.
- Spread potatoes on baking sheet: Spread potatoes into an even layer across baking sheet.
- Bake in oven until lightly browned: Roast in preheated oven until nearly tender and just beginning to brown lightly, tossing once halfway through, about 30 – 35 minutes total.
- Toss with lemon and garlic: Remove from oven, scoot potatoes to center, drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with garlic, toss to coat. Spread back out into an even layer.
- Continue to roast until tender: Roast 10 minutes longer or until fully tender and golden brown in places.
- Finish with parsley: Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
Can I use another type of potato?
Another waxy potato like red potatoes will work well here too.
Can I use other herbs?
Yes definitely. Other herbs that will work well here include basil, rosemary, thyme, or dill (though not blending them all together). Another option would be to use fresh oregano in place of dried (use 1 1/2 Tbsp).
How to Reheat
Have leftovers? Reheat in a 350 degree oven on a greased pan or in a baking dish until warmed through (if needed add a little more oil, tent with foil so they don’t brown).
Tips for the Best Greek Flavored Lemon Potatoes
- Use fresh lemon. We use quite a bit here so using that much bottled lemon could ruin this side dish.
- Keep an eye on them so they don’t over-brown.
- Wait to add the lemon. The potatoes will roast better without that much moisture added in the beginning.
- Serve warm for the best texture.
What to Serve with Them?
- roast chicken or grilled chicken
- salmon or other fish
- another vegetable like asparagus, green beans or zucchini
More Roasted Potato Recipes to Try
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges
- Cheesy Bacon Ranch Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes with Garlic Parmesan and Herbs
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon and Honey Butter
- Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Follow Cooking Classy
Lemon Roasted Potatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano (other herbs like dill or basil would be good too)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a rimmed, light colored, 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place potatoes in center of baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper then toss to evenly coat.
- Spread potatoes into an even layer across baking sheet.
- Roast in preheated oven until nearly tender and just beggining to brown lightly, tossing once halfway through, about 30 - 35 minutes total.
- Remove from oven, scoot potatoes to center, drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with garlic, toss to coat. Spread back out into an even layer.
- Roast 10 minutes longer or until fully tender and golden brown in places.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.