If you like poppy seed salad dressing then this Sonoma Chicken Salad is the chicken salad of your dreams, it tastes amazing and it’s so easy to throw together! It makes a perfect lunch for any day of the week, and obviously it’s pretty much the number one choice for a picnic, it’s also a good party food for a shower or holiday lunch.
Sonoma Chicken Salad
My recommendation for the easiest way to make this is to either use rotisserie chicken or to cook the chicken in a slow cooker overnight, toss it in an airtight container in the morning and refrigerate it, then by lunch time it will be cool enough to shred or chop and toss into the salad.
Then prep a simple poppy seed dressing, which you can definitely make lighter by using half Greek yogurt for half of the mayo, or use light mayonnaise.
Then toss the chicken, some diced celery, pecans, a hint of parmesan and dried cranberries with that dressing and you’ve got a delicious chicken salad!
I know this is going to be my new favorite dish for picnic lunches this summer. Just be sure after eating this chicken salad to smile real big… and check your teeth for poppy seeds :).
Some other good substitutions for the dried cranberries would be diced apples or grapes and another good nut option would be almonds or cashews, but I would recommend trying the recipe as written at least once. The ingredients listed are a perfect combination together. When served over some fresh rustic bread this sandwich is to die for!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- BLTA Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Almond Poppy Seed Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Apple Pecan Rosemary Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Greek Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Hawaiian Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
This chicken salad easy to make and it is the perfect lunch! It's made with simple ingredients yet it tastes so delicious!
- 3 1/2 cups cooked , shredded chicken (about 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries , such as Craisins, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Sliced bread , for serving (here is a great recipe)
- 2/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp apple juice
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard (optional)
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large mixing bowl toss together shredded chicken, celery, pecans, dried cranberries and Parmesan cheese, set aside. In a separate mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients listed for the dressing until well blended. Pour dressing mixture over chicken mixture and toss to evenly coat. Serve over sliced bread, croissants or rolls. Store in refrigerator.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy