Crisp cabbage salads/slaws are the best! I’ve always loved coleslaw and this is basically a Thai spin on American coleslaw. Yes, it tastes entirely different but in such a good way! I’ll eat just about anything when it’s covered in a Thai style peanut sauce. I absolutely love the blend of flavors and textures here with the fresh cilantro and green onions, the crisp bell peppers and cabbage, the crunchy carrots, and that incredibly simple yet addictive slightly sweet, slightly sour, slightly salty, creamy peanut sauce. This is the perfect side dish to your favorite asian chicken recipes and toss in some grilled chicken breasts and serve it up for lunch. Either way it’s going to be a win!
Thai Slaw with Peanut Dressing
A delicious Thai inspired slaw salad made with crisp shredded cabbage, carrots, and bell pepper. It's tossed with a flavorful, creamy peanut dressing and served cold.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage (I used a combo of green and red, you can use the pre-cut stuff)
- 1 cup matchstick carrots , roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , diced into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tsp peeled and finely minced ginger
- 1 large clove garlic , finely minced
Add all salad ingredients to a a medium salad bowl and toss. In a mixing bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients until well combined (if needed you can season with a little salt).
Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired and serve immediately.
Recipe source: inspired by Once Upon a Chef
- You can make the salad and dressing portion ahead of time, just refrigerate both separately and add dressing when ready to serve.
- Also, don't add the dressing to the full portion if you don't plan to eat it all right away, just add to individual servings.