How’s this for nutritious breakfast? This is a great way to start any day! Not only is it good for you but it tastes delicious. It’s easy to make and it yields 3 servings so you can have another two bowls stored in the fridge to warm up for the next few days.
The recipe is very versatile. Basically it’s just a place to get you started. You can swap out the milk for a different kind, and an alternate sweetener would work fine (agave, brown sugar, maple syrup). You could add nuts for crunch and another added protein. Bananas or any kind of berry would be a great compliment to this, or a nut butter would make it nice and creamy. I’d say always (or almost always) keep the cinnamon though because the cinnamon makes it feel like a breakfast cereal. I think next I want to try a coconut version, now that sounds amazing. Enjoy!
- 2 cups almond milk, plus more for serving (I used original)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp honey, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring almond milk, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom and salt to a boil. Stir in quinoa and reduce heat to a low. Cover with lid and allow to simmer 15 - 20 minutes until almond milk has been absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Stir in honey and vanilla. Serve warm topped with more almond milk.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
This is a random pic but I wanted to use my new mini strainer I just bought for props :). It’s blue but I wish they would have had a white one too…